Author Topic: Hawthorn Bow, More Pics!  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Hawthorn Bow, More Pics!
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:30:32 am »
Hey people, the hawthorn bow is done! Got the tiller pretty good as far as my standards go, (which are low, )and it hasn't blown up yet. I'm surprised at how fast and accurate it is! It took quite some set mostly because i was very excited to try hawthorn and so i let it season for a very lengthy 1 week. However it shoots hard and fast  ;D I'm surprised that most of my shots are going clean through the hay bales i'm shooting at... +i know they are good bales because i work my A#$ off to produce them  ::)  ;D

Finished specs: (still needs to be weighed) @ 25"
Length: 58" ttt
Overall Width: About 1 1/2"

Only the FD pics for now. I'll take more detail shots + the draw weight tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:54:30 pm by Zion »
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Hawthorn Bow Completed!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:03:41 am »
That's a good looking tiller. Hawthorne is dense stuff, so I'd imagine that bow has some poundage based on how thick it is.

GAbe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:05:54 am »
nice little bow man, Great work!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 04:52:14 am »
Excellent.
I'd keep an eye on it over the next few weeks as, it it was made fairly green it will still be drying and may need a little re-tillering.
It may also gain draw weight.
If you clamp it up flat and leave it some where warm/hot and draughty for a day or two that would probably ensure it's finished seasoning, then take it back slowly on the tiller and re-adjust if necessary.
Sounds fussy I know, but it may be worth it to get the best life out of the bow.
Or maybe just shoot the heck out of it ;D
If I was being asked to be critical of the tiller I'd say it was working a tad hard in the inner 1/3 but maybe that's the style you wanted.
Del
(Actually I think making 'em slightly green and then finishing the seasoning is a good way to do it, more chance of set, but less chance of breakage)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:52:50 am »
Nice bend, man. Looks really good. Never tried hawthorn, but it looks like it's good stuff!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:03:06 am »
That turned out really nice! Hawthorn is on my to-do list. Thats a nice lookin backdrop in your pics, what part of the world you in?

Offline Zion

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »
For some reason the site just deleted everything i wrote and posted!!   >:( >:( >:(  But thanks for the replies everyone! i'm gonna make it short. Del, your right about everything you said, i made the tiller like that cuz i decided to change it up a bit from the circular tillers. I might just keep it as a fun-to-shoot target bow.

The weight: something weird is going on! The scale said it's 70#@23", and my draw is 25" so that means it would be somewhere around 76#, right? It seems really light to me, because i can hold it at full draw with minimal difficulty. Maybe it's just because this is one of my longer bows and i'm not used to such smoothness but more of a snappy release  ;D

Okie, i live in Washington State. Real nice here, and quite a few gnarled shrubs to make bows outa  :laugh:  :laugh:

So hopefully it will post this time. Here are the detail pics:

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hawthorn Bow, More Pics!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »
Ah yes I can see from the last pics, it's got nice hint of the stiff Mollegabet style tips. V nicely done, some are a tad over done with heavy levers.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »
Nice job on that bow. If its that heavy...lordy I might strain something trying to pull it.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 08:13:30 pm »
Nice bow Zion , your making some good ones. Keep posting them I'll be looking forward to seeing whats next from you.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Zion

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 12:49:52 am »
Thanks Badly Bent! I've got quite a few things going right now so hopefully they'll all turn into bows  ;D