Author Topic: Wild greens?????????  (Read 2184 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

Wild greens?????????
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:37:59 pm »
  I  don't  know  if  this is  the  place  for  this  but,,,,,My  buddy  Don, is  really  into the  primitive  stuff,,,me more bows and arrows,,  he  was  with cornell till retirement  working w\ plants,trees and  such well  we  were  sitting in  my  back yard  talking,,  and I  see I  really  need to  do  some  lawn work,,  I ask  Don  hey  whats that  weed  right  there???? I  just  can't  get  rid of  the   stuff,  and I  don't  want  to use  round -up  anymore,,,,,  well  Don bends over  a grabs  a  hand full  and  starts  eating  the  stuff!!!!!!  and  said  that's what  I'll  do  ???  and  then he offers  me  some,,,and  I ate  some!!!   dang it!!!  that  stuff  was  great!!  I put  a bunch in  my  salad  for  dinner  sunday  I'm  going to make  greens and beans with it!!   the  plant  is  called   PURSLANE!!!  now  you  can  check it  out  for  your  self!!!  if  you  screw up  don't  blame  me!!   but   dang!!!  I  hope  some one  scores  a bunch  of  that  stuff  to  back  my  story?  I  think I spelled it right ?  good  luck  what  a  treat  if  you try it  thanks  for  reading this  JeffW

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Wild greens?????????
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:49:14 pm »
Jamie had a thread on Purslane a few years ago. I wish I could get rid of it in my garden.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:37 am »
I think it tastes great raw or mixed into a batch of cooked greens.  When cooked all by itself it seems sort of slimy.   It's related to Mache, a salad green that sells at the high end.  It grows wild in my garden and I figure that if I can't get rid of it, I might as well eat it.   As one of my old profs said  "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em. "      Ron
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:36:19 pm by M-P »
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:54:04 pm »
I like bundles of purslane wrapped in a chumk of pita bread and dredged thru a glop of hummus.  Before you start picking thru your debitage piles for extra pointy rocks to throw at me for going to heavily vegan, it is eaten between bites of venison!

It's fairly nutritious, but I like it anyway.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:31:49 pm »
Hmmm have saw it before.  Have you ever ate chicory?
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:06 pm »
How about some pictures of what we are all missing?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »
Google inages of purslane and you will find plenty.  Betcha you got it within 100 yds of your house, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.