Author Topic: two river cane kid arrows  (Read 2025 times)

Offline aero86

two river cane kid arrows
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:32:12 am »
been a long time since ive posted, i sneak around here every now and then.  just like to share what ive been up to.  we were at Canton, Tx.  was walking around with my girlfriends 8 year old.  there was a guy there that sells all sorts of "native american" things, like beads and beadwork.  he also sells hides and such.  also sells bows.  well, my GF's son was pretty interested in all that.  i asked him if he ever shot a bow, he said no.  so, i asked the guy if he had a smaller bow and he had one that worked out for him.  i think, later, when, and if he keeps an interest, i can make him one with more weight.  anyways, he wanted a few of the arrows there, but i decided i wanted him to have some that i make, since i enjoy it, and mine at least looked better than the ones the guy had.  so, that sunday i came home, went through the pile of river cane i had.  found some that would work.  i straightened them, reduced the nodes on them and put some glue on points on them.  i used pre cut fletchings, i just like the white and grey fletchings.  i tied it with extra strength black thread after using fletch tape to attach the feathers.  i sealed the wrap with some duco, and applied some to the back end of the feathers as well.  i really cant remember the last time i made any arrows.  it has been at least a year :( :( :o  been busy lately and ive become and independent author.  but, i forgot how making arrows brings me back to the simple things, and takes my mind off everything else..

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: two river cane kid arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:43:55 am »
Very nice, I like plain white fletching for a change
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:23:42 am »
i like them too.  and actually, the fletching on the top part of both shafts are a dyed grey, just with the flash they washed out.  i have some bright red fletchings that i used for some smaller arrows for my mini bow.  that might have been fun! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:00:55 am »
Good to see you back at it!  Hope all is well.  I've been hog hunting over your way up by the Red River NW of Paris.  As always, nice arrows. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:52:18 am »

Nice arrows! 8)  And nice of you to get the boy a bow, and go to the trouble
of making those arrows for him.  Maybe if he stays interested in archery, you can let him watch you make him a bow, and if he gets the bug, get him to make a bow of his own, with your guidance and help.  Nice work. ;)

Wayne

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:17 am »
hey george!  long time no see. sounds like youve been doing well!  i do plan on helping him with a new bow as well. also have to make some for my boys as well.  i guess im trying to make more work for myself! lol

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:52:19 pm »
Good looking arrows,should fly like darts, and good to see ya back posting. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:28:02 pm »
... i do plan on helping him with a new bow as well. also have to make some for my boys as well.  i guess im trying to make more work for myself! lol

Sounds great! I'll be watching for bow pics. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »
thanks everyone.  they arent the most pretty ones, but, since they are for a little boy, he doesnt need them all shiny.