Author Topic: advice on a couple of yew staves please.  (Read 1868 times)

Offline danny f

advice on a couple of yew staves please.
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:08:26 pm »
hi there, i have had this yew drying for abit and today thought i would rough out a bow so it drys abit quicker. i was only gona go for only one bow  but decided to risk it  and try splitting it into 2. i managed to get them split perfectly and ended up with 2. one is reflexed the other is bent to one side.  i am going to draw out the bows and rough them out but was wondering about these knots. the one with the branch i will probably go around but what should i do about the knots that go right across the stave? could i just cut down the sides of them. the staves are roughly 2" wide and 67" long thanks for any advice danny.

Offline druid

Re: advice on a couple of yew staves please.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:03:54 pm »
Seems good enough.

Offline danny f

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:20:14 pm »
So can I just cut through the clusters of knots?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:30:07 pm »
Where are the knots at in terms of  the eventual bow (Mid-limb, fades, outer third, etc.)?  You might be able to avoid the knots altogether.  You can get away a pretty narrow limb design with yew.  I would avoid leaving a cut through knot on the edge of the limb, though yew can typically handle it.  Keep the knot encased and leave a swell around it on the limb edge.  You can always take more off later. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline danny f

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:53 pm »
on the left hand stave there are knots 13" from one tip and 18" from the other. the rest i can avoid. (i think) the other stave has one largish knot about 18" from one end, and the other side has 3 or 4 knots  spread out. but more towards the tips to about 18" in. there is also a sharp ridge in the left hand stave about 3" long but that is where the handle would be so im not to worried by it.