Author Topic: Todays Yew Haul..  (Read 8374 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Todays Yew Haul..
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:41 am »
Alright raven thanks for picking that up for me, why don't you just bring those logs over around noon on Monday :D

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 06:57:46 am »
Jeez that makes me jealous!
I spotted a nice big ole Yew in a churchyard, loads of big verticals with a nice clean 6" diameter on tucked away in the middle.
The church has no vicar at the mo' so I E-mailed the local archdeacon asking if I coul harvest that one limb for a suitable fee... he said he'd pass my request but wasn't hopefull as many trees have 'tree presevation orders' on them and even if they didn't there would have to be a survey of the tree blah blah blah... >:(
Maybe my mistake was askin' ? >:D
I'm still waiting on another 6" limb which I asked a forrester on a country estate about in April... the wheels grind exceeding slow but fine when it comes to finding decent Yew in the UK :(.
Maybe it's time to don my Ninja outfit and creep out under cover of darkness... shhhh, you ain't seen me right? ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 09:22:14 am »
Lucky yew!

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 02:29:13 pm »
The only yew I've ever seen is the yew people plant around their houses. Sometimes it grows quite large, in fact I just found a row that had been abandoned for a few decades and has many branches 5-7 inches in diameter.

But I have never seen yew like you posted in your photo. Are we talking totally different types of yew?

Is the yew I've found good for bowmaking?
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »
The only yew I've ever seen is the yew people plant around their houses. Sometimes it grows quite large, in fact I just found a row that had been abandoned for a few decades and has many branches 5-7 inches in diameter.

But I have never seen yew like you posted in your photo. Are we talking totally different types of yew?

Is the yew I've found good for bowmaking?

Irish yew is a common lawn plant.....It's also worthless
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 05:30:32 pm »
Maybe it's time to don my Ninja outfit and creep out under cover of darkness... shhhh, you ain't seen me right? ;)
Del

And now we know what happened to Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 05:34:58 pm »
Oh god, i'm so jealous!! To think of those precious trees being treated like garbage, the humanity.

Where abouts you at? You said north island, i'm thinking northern washington?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »
Jeez that makes me jealous!
I spotted a nice big ole Yew in a churchyard, loads of big verticals with a nice clean 6" diameter on tucked away in the middle.
The church has no vicar at the mo' so I E-mailed the local archdeacon asking if I coul harvest that one limb for a suitable fee... he said he'd pass my request but wasn't hopefull as many trees have 'tree presevation orders' on them and even if they didn't there would have to be a survey of the tree blah blah blah... >:(
Maybe my mistake was askin' ? >:D
I'm still waiting on another 6" limb which I asked a forrester on a country estate about in April... the wheels grind exceeding slow but fine when it comes to finding decent Yew in the UK :(.
Del

The old adage comes to mind.
Its easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission ;) After all they are in the business of forgiveness.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:16 am »
Got an estimated rings per inch on those?  The biggest log there looks about 18" in diameter. With a 9 inch radius and 40 RPI that puts that tree at 360 years old. Wow. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:03 am »
good score.it just blows my mind that they where cutting it up for fire wood..do you have to get a permit to cut yew..john

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 04:08:04 am »
Well...

We went out again today but to a different spot.   We loaded the truck and trailer again.  The clearcut we found this time is massive and you wouldn't believe the quantity of yew that is cut down and left.

Off hand most of the logs are pretty twisted,  so not sure if it will be bow wood or not,  Either way.  there is so much there we are thinking of stocking up.    But for now,  the recent batch will be off to the mill.
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:33 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ??? ??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
nice!
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

UserNameTaken

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:55 am »
Holy crap! Maybe I need to move to Canada. The forestry service has gotten real stingy here in Washington. I'm having trouble even getting a permit to cut vine maple--and it's just an overgrown weed!