Author Topic: New guy plant city FL.  (Read 4478 times)

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
New guy plant city FL.
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:41:13 pm »
Hello all PA's. Wanted to introduce myself. I'm 54, retired US Air Force, 20 yrs. Grew up in E. Tenn. My wife is from Tampa area and we moved to Plant City in 98. We raised 4 daughters and now have 5 grandkids, All but one live in Tenn. now. So I spend as much time there as I can. I was recommended from another member here to ck this site out as  I had some ? about selfbows. I enjoy making a lot of my own items for hunting and the outdoors. I enjoy hiking and when camping alone I hang from the trees. I enjoy knife making and learning new things. Have some fabulous Obsidian I was gifted with, so knapping is on the to do list. I hope to be able to share in PA someday, but mainly will be all ears. I have several stave's of hickory I cut last winter and hope to turn them into nice bows for the kids someday.
Thanks for having me.
      Graylan "Spyder"

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: New guy plant city FL.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:46:26 pm »
cLOSE THE DANG DOOR PEOPLE!  We are getting Spyders in here!

Welcome to the clubhouse, it's your turn to do dishes!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:45:11 am »
Welcome to PA glad to have you on board,I know you will like it here. ;) ;D
Great bunch of folks that love to share and help if they can. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:25 am »
Glad to see another one from Florida, welcome. I got your PM and will give you a call. I'll be home working on bows and chipping points most of this three day weekend coming up. Parnell on this site is coming up from Naples and we are going to lay out some new bows for him and just hang out. I can toss some meat on the grill and probably some oysters are on the menu, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:38 pm »
Oysters?  Gimme half a dozen with their coats on and a tall cold one to wash 'em down!  Once they have been cooked I can't get within 6 fathoms of 'em!

Spyder?  By any chance have you ever done any bushcrafting?   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:34:54 pm »
John;

It's an abomination to cook an oyster. :'(
Lakeland, Florida

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:49 pm »
Thanks Guys for a warm welcome.
JW, I've been in the woods once, maybe, But was born in a cave, Does that count, LOL ;)
Eddie, thanks would love to hang out, I'll bring some venison or what ever? Love the big O'slimmy's on the half. Let me know

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:10:59 am »

Dang, I never got offered no oysters! :'(
Yeah sure wait till I get to Montana, and then start offering oysters, to new comers.
Careful, Spyder, he'll offer you a bucket of iffy, rocks to take home and practice with. ;)  Trust me, I know! :o  Well enjoy your time with him, he ain't too bad of a sort, but the one you want to meet is his wife! ;)  She might even offer you dinner, after you're done eating those oysters, and drinking his stash of cheap beer.  He keeps his good stuff in the house.  But the cheap ones are nice and cold though. And he does do a good job on the grill.  Just don't step on any of his plants in his garden. ::)  Welcome and enjoy the site, and glean all the info you can, there is a lot of it, and lots of talent on this site.  You found a good one.  Oh, don't lean on the front of his truck, or jeep.  There might be a little bit of gore left on the bumpers.  Both his truck, and jeep hate hogs. :P  Well slurp a nice Appalachacola Oyster for me, and have a cold one on me.  He keeps them in a refrigerator in the shop. ;)  By all means bring some venison, and he will sling it on the grill.  Actually he is a pretty good guy, and quite skilled at bow making, and such, not to mention uh....bumper car hog hunting, good source of info.  Go on over, you will have a great time.  You will like Parnell also.  Great people.  Great site.

Wayne

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »
Thats all good info wayne, fits eddie well, LOL >:D, He's not bad for a 6'9"longhaired type hippie ;D
I had a great time and learned a lot from him and steve, and yes his wife is great, she kept my wife busy while we whittled on sticks.
And we did eat real good both days, hope I didn't stay to long and wear out my welcome.
I did build my first bow, florida style (Cypress), maybe with a Seminole twist, with Lots and lots of help. We all 3 had our hands on it.
I need to do the finishing touches and will post up lots of Photos. I know eddie and steve have photos as well.
enough  for now, Look for the bow post real soon.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:15:53 pm »
Nawww, you didn't wear out your welcome at all. It was a great way to spend my birthday and I got a lot of work done on some bows. And no matter how much Wayne whines he always hunts up something to eat. Guess he have to bring his on Amber refreshment since I quit drinking it, though. ::)

Now hurry up and get some pictures up so you can show these folks that fine, shooting Cypress bow. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:29 pm »

Dang!  TWO days?  I am only allowed one day, and that is few and far between!  Ok, ok, yeah, I do eat pretty well over there. and I get free beer.  Maybe that is why, I am only allowed one day....... :P  But now that Eddie is not drinking any more, I guess I will have to bring my own, or some Opici homemade Barbarone, so he can enjoy that, while I eat his lunch, he was saving. ;)  I occasionally offer to take them out to eat, but they sometimes decline, and try get me to eat at their house instead.  Which works out pretty well, since Eddie always has a garden full of colards, or mustard, tomatoes, and such. 8)  If you go back, try to go when his Daughter is home and is cooking lasagna! ;) ;)   Well I never would have thought that cypress would make a good bow.  I want pictures!  You need to find out when he is going to the flea market, and go with him.  He is incredibly lucky at the stuff he finds, and then watch him whittle them down in price!  That poor old widow woman never knew what that engraved presentation grade Browning, with the leather bound case with the engraved ivory, and ebony handled tools, and engraved sterling silver oil bottles, and factory letter, was worth, and Eddie got her down to fifty dollars, and acted like he would have to eat fish heads and rice for a month to afford that.  He is a master!  :o
Ok, ok, ok, that didn't happen, but I could see it happening with his Irish/Scot luck! ;)  But he does find some amazing treasures, at bargain prices.  Like the little cast iron stoves he found.  But do go back, and enjoy the company.  Dang! Oysters! Whenever I go over there, they either just had them the day before, or are going to a "relative's" house to have them.  Glad you got to meet him and his Wife, and Parnell, now you need to meet Bone Pile!  Maybe Eddie can talk him into bringing some of his homemade wine with him.  You always eat well there, even if you have to bring your own beer now. ;) ;D
                                                        Wayne