Author Topic: hickory bow,,bends more on one end than other when strung..effect?  (Read 4622 times)

Offline scp

Re: hickory bow,,bends more on one end than other when strung..effect?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
I would try heat treating the lower belly lightly. What's the finish on the bow?

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:26 pm »
okie...guess find a "light"scraper..rather scrape 10 lil's than 1 oops!  finish on bow is cloth backing w/ titebond 2....jus a regular stain on inside...thanks people!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Christophero

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »
Can I suggest you just leave it like it is? 
I built a pretty Hickory longbow a number of years ago and the lower limb did just what you have there after shooting quite a few arrows.  The bow shot fast and sweet but I could not let well enough alone.  Long story short that bow is toast now due to my "revamp" session.  Sometimes a not so perfect looking but a good shooting bow is a great weapon all in its self.  My $0.02.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 09:33:23 pm »
Chris,,,my first worry was safety..not sure if it was a ready to break thing or jus a "wood occurrence"...I think I'll shoot it some more if it seems okay I'll let it be,,, really don't wanna screw up a usable bow..but when I grow up..i'm gettin a real one  lol  thanks all!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »
An alternative to scraping is to use 120 grit sandpaper wrapped around a wooden block.  It's a bit slower than scraping, but still a safe way to slowly change tiller. 

When I first started reading this post I dropped to a knee and quick made a prayer that you had not gotten a hold of one of my bows somehow.  Whew. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 09:59:58 pm »
I use an orbital sander for my final tillering. It is a real good way to remove those pencil lines, I use 180 grit paper.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »
I'll admit to using my DeWalt quarter sheet sander for final tillering adjustments, too.  But I feel very guilty and un-Primitive for doing it.  The shame can only be removed with cold, frosty, amber liquid.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
It's common for wooden bows to develop more set in the lower limb, since that limb takes more stress while being drawn in the hand (as opposed to most tillering tree setups).  The lower the heel of the hand holding the bow drops, the more the center of balance shifts, causing the lower limb to have to bend more at full draw.  Most of us will leave the bottom limb stronger (creating a "positive tiller") to counteract this.  I always advice a high-heel grip, very similar to that of Fred Asbell.  This creates a more symmetrical fulcrum point and stress load between the limbs. (Interestingly, some traditional archers/bowyers actually flip their bow over when this problem develops, thus making the top limb the bottom and visa versa. It isn't always feasible, but sometimes is a quick and effective solution.)

That said, the advice given is good...slow wood removal over the length of the upper limb.  If using a scraper, I find it best to pull it along the belly at a 45 degree angle to avoid creating, and eventually deepening, chatter marks.  Switch the angle as you go.  Also, the more you hold the scraper blade a 90 degrees perpendicular to the bow, the more prone to chatter marks you'll be.  These are not only unsightly, but problematic over time.

Sure hope that helps!
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »
thinkin,,if its safe leaving as is for now..see if it changes in anyway,,,but my next question is will scraping sanding lessen the draw weight? almost seems it'd have to....but by alot? little?
thanks again!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Adam

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26:00 pm »
Any wood you remove will lessen the draw weight some.  If you're close to the weight you want, go REALLY slowly removing wood and check frequently  It's very easy to remove just a little more than you mean to (not that I'd ever do something like that ;) ).