Author Topic: Carving Wood Spirits  (Read 6716 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Carving Wood Spirits
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:48 am »
Thanks guys. 
Trapper Rob, yes I have but I use a dremel for that.  I wouldn't put my Flexcut tools through such punishment.
Gila_Mike, I have carved a few bears hanging on the side of sticks and one eagle head on the top of a stick.
cheapshot, use the best tools you can afford and keep them as sharp as possible.  Mine are sharpened to a 12 degree angle and honey to a mirror finish.  Dull tools will get you cut quick.  Sharp tools go through the wood much easier, which means you use less force and maintain control of the tool better.   If you want to try wood spirits, go out in the woods and find a sapling that died standing an inch and a half to two inch diameter.  Make what is called a study stick.  Draw the hairline around the face (shaped like the top of a rifle bullet) about three inches tall, a half dozen times down the length of the stick.  Carve in the hair line on all six and round the forehead and make sure to leave some room and wood for eyebrows.  Rough draw in the eyes and nose on the last five and carve them in, just roughly to get a feel for it.  Draw in and carve the cheek lines on the last four and give them some shape.  Shape the mouth or mustache and outline the hair on the last three.  On the last two, go back to the cheeks and nose and define them more, really just cleaning them up some.  one the very last one, add in teh rest of the hair, eyebrows and mustache if it has one.  The key to this is the repitition.  By the time the alst one is done, you will have the basics down and be ready to start carving them on walking sticks.  I will post some pics this weekend of the process if you want.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »
madcrow you got some mad skills, i'd love a build a lond on the process, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 01:27:47 pm »
Those are awesome! people who can carve faces amaze me. very cool
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:20 am »
Awesome work.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 11:53:36 am »
Yep I'd like to see pics....and a build along would be cool too!!!  :)

Tomi