Author Topic: some performance comparisons and wonderings, ie BL  (Read 4427 times)

Offline snedeker

some performance comparisons and wonderings, ie BL
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:09:30 am »
the other day I took several of my recent bows out and shot the heck out of them, just some field flight shootingm easuring distances, checking "feel", etc.  All 3 bows 63", including the yew trilam I just posted (52# at 27", 2" reflex), BL selfbow (58#, basically no reflex, flipped out tips) and boo backed massaranduba (bulletwood (also 58#, 1.5" reflex)

The BL bow was outstandingly the best of the three.  Shoots a 540 grain cedar arrow 230 yards, and just has that feeling of "oh, yeah" when you release.  The massandba was close behind, a little less cast and a lilttle less sweet in the hand.  The yew tri lam felt a littlle floppy by comparison - was using lighter arrows for it.  It may be the weight made the dieffence.  58# is just a nice weight for me.  I had planned on get the yew to that weight, but just went a little thin on the wood.

Here is the link to the BL from earlier this summer for those who didn't see it.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3179.0.html

It is my best bow so far I think.  I wonder what makes it perform so well - the wood?  Design?>  A little better execution of general project?

Thought you might be interested.

Dave

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: some performance comparisons and wonderings, ie BL
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 01:23:57 pm »
Wow! That's awesome. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 01:32:45 pm »
Hi,
You know, I've heard a lot of good things about Black Locust from some very respected bowyers. I've not used it myself. Does anyone have more info on where to get it, and how to work it?
Thanks!

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 02:06:16 pm »
Dave, thats excellent performance, You might consider comming to the flight shoots some time and shooting broadheads, we only have a 50# division and then it goes unlimited as far as weight class goes. I can't quite draw enough bow for the unlimited classes but I try anyway. If you are like me where 60 something is all you cna draw you would look at the 50# classes. Steve

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 02:11:19 pm »
It grows litterally as a weed tree throughout the eastern US. I don't think it gets into the west very much.  Lumber available at various sources.  I treat it about the same as osage in selfbows, except you can't go as short or narrow - it will start to fret on the belly. I find 63" ntn and 1.5 inch wide fine for bows with a 28" draw.  Bends well with dry heat.

there seems to be a lot of variability though, some being much tougher than other.

Steve, is there an association or something?  info on a location near me in central pa?

Dave
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:13:10 pm by snedeker »

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »
Dave the only association is the national archery association, they only hold one flight shoot a year at Wendover, NV. Why don't we start our own? A few of us have talked about it before, all we need is a big open field clear off long grass and brush or rocks. There is a pretty strict protocal involved when weighing in the bows and arrows. Measuring can be done with an inexpensive 100 yard tape from home depot. I was thinking of a flight shoot kit that could be made conpact and just shipped to whomever was holding a flight shoot. Charge about $5.00 for each entry to pay for the shipping and any other minor expenses. One idea I had for calibrated weights was to make a plexiglass tube that you could fill with water to different points for exact weights. Wouldnt be too hard to put together. Steve

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:49:55 pm »
Dave, nice performance and nice BL bow. I think locust is a very underrated bow wood. I do agree with you on the variability of it though. My experience has been that the health of locust can vary and trees of around 8 to 10 inches diamater seem to have worked the best for me. Bigger than that and they seem to have bugs and rot in them and thinner growth rings. But find a nice healthy one and you'll have some great bows and here in western NC it's fairly easy to find nice ones because it grows everywhere like weeds so there are plenty of trees to pick from.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 08:05:36 pm »
The poundage,lower limb mass, and probably a more advantageous limb profile, plus maybe you have shot it more than the others? release really means a lot in distance and chrono shooting.

Rich-

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:18:35 pm »
Badger, I think that putting on some flight shoots would be fun, combining with a three d shoot might be even more fun.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 02:50:50 am »
Ken, Thats kind of what I had in mind, combine it with some bow making, flint knapping, 3 d shoot, and a fun flight shoot, I think about a year ago you had a pretty good candidate for a broadhead flightbow as well if I remember right. Steve