Author Topic: Points too light?  (Read 9487 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Points too light?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 07:36:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I hope I get a chance to do a test soon.  This shingles thing has sure cut into my hunting time.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:40 pm »
good luck with those shingles George, my father-in-law got it in his eye's and ear's, it was a bear, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 12:44:02 pm »
@ George - my dad had shingles as he was going through Hodgkins lymphoma - he made it through all of it - good luck with that - worry about the unting time.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 01:19:53 pm »
Thanks guys.  My rash has about run its course and now I'm trying to wean off the pain meds a little.   I took 1 pill instead of 2 and I'm still wiped.  Those buggers make me sleeeeepy.  I'd be afraid to sit in a tree stand.  Don't really want to test the hunter safety vest.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 09:48:54 am »
I didn't get to read all the posts, but I'm pretty sure it is twistedlimbs who shoots small, light heads.  I'm not sure where he makes up the weight at.  Lookin good all the same, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »
I don't have any idea what my points weigh, but i can tell you that they are a lot smaller than most hunting points I see posted here.  KS law states that the point can't pass through a 3/4" washer so I make all my points around 13/16" to 7/8" wide and at least 2 to 1 preferably 2 1/2 to 1 length to width.  It doesn't always work out that way though.  If your having trouble hafting thicker points on cane and bamboo,  drill a small hole for the base of your hafting notch and then cut your v-notch.  By having a round hole at the base, you can heat the tabs of the notch and very gently work the point into the notch.  The hole helps to keep the shaft from splitting as the tabs spread to accommodate the thicker point.  If you have the temp right you can haft a point that is thicker than the shaft.  I hope that helps.   Josh
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:55:49 pm by Gun Doc »