Author Topic: String alignment?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Arrowind

String alignment?
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:19:11 am »
I am working on a hickory backed Maple bow.  The string is not quite lining up.  The backing was glued on with  Titebond III.  if I try to align the limbs a little by using a heat gun do I risk the backing delaminating?
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: String alignment?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:08:22 am »
How bad is the missalignment?
If it still sits inside the width of the bow it's prob still ok, with maybe a bit of minor nock or grip adjustment.
I wouldn't try to heat bend anything that has glue involved.
The bow I'm just finishing looks off centre, but shoots like a dream (some limb twist means it actually track right). I even shot it flipped top to bottom and it still shot great.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/maple-ii-vs-maple-i.html
Running a straight edge from nock to nock doesn't always give the tue picture if the re is twist involved.
I think a good test is to let the bow dangle from the string supported at the nocking point, then look down and see how it lines up (a short plumb bob helps) this is lining the string up with the centre of mass at brace rather than just the flat geometry.
Hope that makes sense.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:25:31 am »
It is impossible for a string not to track center of the handle. It may not track center of where YOU want the center to be, but a string always tracks center, sometimes you just have to adjust where the handle is held...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:38:33 am »
I've taken a couple of pics to illustrate what I was saying about unbraced vs braced and twisted limbs.
Note the plumbline hanging down for reference in pic2.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »
Del,

Thanks a lot.  I really appreciate the time you took to address the question.  I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.

I finished tillering this morning the string actually tracks pretty close to the middle of the handle and just to the arrow side a hair.  One limb twists just a tad (probably only enough for a bowyer to notice...)and the string does not contact the recurve portion in the exact center but pretty close.  It's not nearly as bad as I had thought.   I shot it a bit and it shoots just fine. Actually pretty nice.

I decided just to leave it as is and not stress over it.   I know a little twist or string not splitting the handle in the exact center doesn't effect performance It's more of an aesthetic thing I guess.  Either way it turned out just fine so I'm not going to worry about it. 

Thanks again.   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:06:56 pm »
It is impossible for a string not to track center of the handle. It may not track center of where YOU want the center to be, but a string always tracks center, sometimes you just have to adjust where the handle is held...

Sleek,
Thanks for your comments.  I see your point.  I just like the center of the bow to be the center of the handle or maybe a little toward the side of the intended arrow rest.  I try to do that anyway.  Since I'm building the bow I try to tell the bow where center is going to be and sometimes I get an arguement... :o