Author Topic: Motorcycle People  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Motorcycle People
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 12:01:25 pm »
I have an old battle axe that I bought cheap.  It was a frame and seven boxes of parts when I bought it.  Its an '87 Kawasaki vn1500a Vulcan.  After I put it back together I found out why they tore it apart in the first place.  Motor and tranny were both shot. With a fresh motor and tranny it ended up being a pretty decent ride.  You would be amazed how many die hard Harley guys have walked around my bike trying to figure out what model of Harley it is.  The rest of the guys that have all fell for the tank lettering all stand there like vultures waiting to see if another gets suckered.  Anyway, like has been said, be very careful when your riding.  Things go bad quick on a bike.  My personal opinion on the tools are that it doesn't pay to go cheap.  Mid range is probably good enough though for what your doing.  The cheap tools just round off the bolts and then you have big problems(not to mention busted knuckles).  Have a good one young man,  Josh

Offline cracker

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 12:48:28 pm »
that's a mean trick to play on a dude, the left side does look a lot like sporty cases.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 02:07:53 pm »
i think i'll ride on out to sears later today to take a look at their craftsman tools. Has anyone here owned a honda nighthawk cb750 before? I think they discontinued it sometime in 2001 or around there. 
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 05:29:19 pm »
Gun doc  thats  the coolest thing I've seen!!!!! I'll  ride with you too!!!!  hey  Bob,,,can you post  a picture  of  the  KTM???  I  love those!!  JeffW

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 12:52:18 am »
My second bike was a 1980 CB650.  It ran great until a gas leak caught on fire on me on the freeway.  That was an exciting ride...  luckily for me there was a construction crew nearby where I pulled over and one of the guys came running over with a fire extinguisher.  If it wasn't for him it probably would have been a write-off.  The fire was in front of the carbs, right under the gas tank.

After that episode I tore the engine down to repair a leaky head gasket, but after dealing with stripped out head bolts and all kinds of other issues from the previous owner, it ended up costing me more than it was worth, so it's been sitting in my garage ever since.  Maybe some day I'll get the bug to tinker some more.  I sure miss riding it though.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 03:14:51 am »
Iv seen doc's scooter in person makes you smile and shake your head
I also live by cracker's motto live to ride brother
Myself im on a 1998 dyna wide glide the old cl360 honda took a dump on me, fixed her 1done to many times...any swinging d can buy and ride but when you wrench on her your self you become one with your ride and a stupid grin appears  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline cracker

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 09:23:42 am »
I've owned several shovel sporties couple electraglides couple of home brewed choppers few jappers got a japper now. I've wrenched on all my stuff first thing I buy after the bike is a manual. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 10:54:35 pm »
thinking about selling the v-star soon. I'm tossing the idea of buying a 2001 honda cb750, I'd like a more later model. I really want a sport touring bike in the 600-750cc range. Something i can take on like 3 hr rides without killing my wrists..

I'm looking at the fz6 or the kawasaki ninja 650.

I really just need to sell this vstar first
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:51:59 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 03:46:52 pm »
 ;D I was reading back on this and its kind of funny now i think about it. I ended up selling the v-star and buying a 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 just like i wanted. I rebuilt the carbs, set up relays for the coils, other simple maintenace things, and hit the road. I did get low compression in one cylinder and was afraid id have to replace the rings and possibly bore out the cylinder and replace the piston $$$$, but some oil in the spark plug hole loosened up the rings and im rolling with good compression >:D

Sadly enough i dont have another picture of it than this.  ??? I'll try to find a camera to get a better picture. But im sure a lot of you guys remember these cb750s. Honestly the encouragement i got from this thread gave me the confidence to buy this old honda that needed just a bit of work to get going, but i did and im pleased with my machine.

Oh funny thing actually Cameroo, i hit a huge bump in the road like 2 days ago and my carb bowls must have been loose or something because gas just started leaking out. I was 100 miles from home. I pulled alongside the road and had a small tool kit. I pulled the carbs and figured it must be the drain screw being loose. It wasnt loose. Little did i know the float bowl was just ever so slightly loose and the gasket wasnt sealing in the fuel. I leaked gas 100 miles home till i figured out it was just the float bowl. Im glad i didnt catch fire......stupid mistakes.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:23:25 pm by Dictionary »

-JW_Halverson