Author Topic: First bow kill  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Newindian

First bow kill
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:54:14 am »
The dog was going berserk at something on or back porch ( dose that a lot) .but this time our miniature schnauzer got it pinned down some where, so I ran off to get my bow and arrows, but only one broad head because I expected it to be gone by the time I got out there. But lord behold  there he was, a possum snarling in the face of the dog, when he saw me he took off under the deck ( 10 foot tall deck) I circled back around the stairs and he was pinned against the foundation of the house. I found myself shaking as i pulled back my bow ,all pumped up over this little sucker I only drew to like 24" with my only broad head, still penetrated ok but he still had a lot of fight so I pumped my field points into him to. The second that possum stoped growling him off that little schnauzer jumped on him like he was possed. Cat food must be good for all these critters to come to our house.
I like free stuff.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: First bow kill
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:51:44 pm »
Good job, personally I hate possums because of some incidents knapping outside at night
I've got pumped up like that over squirrles, the more often you stare down animals with your bent stick in hand the calmer you get, unless it's a deer...
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:18:08 pm »
Varmints are always a problem.   As a farmer i know....trust me.

The important thing to remember....even when they hurt your income like foxes on my chickens....is that they are eeking out a living just like any other animal.   Just like you. They may even be robbing you to provide for their family.    Much like deer that graze my pastures steal grass out if my cattles mouths,  but it is easier to revere them because they are so beautiful.  Whereas the possum with his ugly tail and smile is easy to dismiss as a lower being.   

Quick story-

I was having a ton of problems with yotes harrassing my calves and eating my chickens.   It made me hate them.  I wanted to kill them badly. I despised them.   I soon got my oppurtunity and made a great shot on a running yote as it sped aeay with a chicken.   Pure satisfaction.  Elation even.  Then i walked up to it with contempt still coursing throuhh my veins.  When i got up to it I rolled it over to find very milk laden and freshly suckled on teets.  Clearly it had a young family and was providing for it with my livelyhood.   

It became immediately obvious that i had been the invader. I had cut the grass for hay....which took away her rabbits...which left her an obvious and sole choice to feed upon.   To be honest i felt a bit ashamed.    Not at my actions......she had to be killed.   But the way i feel about a yote eating my chickens has morphed.   Now the only thing i can really do afterwords is apologize and realize my own predation....messing with somethings elses livelyhood. 

Not looking to preach.  Just want you to see varmints through my eyes.

Regardless......congratulatiins on shooting well under pressure and ending it as fast as you could.

-the dude abides
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline hurlbri1

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:45:17 am »
Wow.  Great...kill...if that's the adjective...I am glad Newindian and Armymedic posted their stories.  I've hunted ducks and pheasant before but this will be the first year I attempt a deer with my very first homemade longbow.  I am sure all over this site there are stories about killin stuff and such, but I like that there are two sides of a story and that, to me, a good hunter sees the varmit for what it is--a varmit--but also recognizes that the varmit is part of the ecosystem, in some ways part of us.  Killing anything is a responsibility and it sounds like Newindian did it ethically and responsibly and Armymedic, as I interpret it, addressed respect. 

It made me think about my role as the hunter and reminded me to be responsible, ethical, and respectful.

Thanks fellas!

Cheers,

Bri
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" -Ernest Rutherford

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »
AM.2 makes a good point. 

Personally, I just can't get myself to shoot a coyote.  After having to put down a few dogs, some that licked my hands moments before I ended their lives, it's just not something I want to do. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:30:40 pm »
Ask yourself this.....Why is the fun over when the animal dies.Not to say the feeling of accomplishment is'nt good.It is.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed