Author Topic: Massey Finish????  (Read 4511 times)

brokennock

Massey Finish????
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:54:47 am »
Can someone tell me the proper proportions for mixing up some Massey finish? I'm lookin for something to seal hickory against an extreme humidity enviroment.

DCM

Re: Massey Finish????
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:30:58 am »
I think the original recipe called for 4:1 ratio of acetone to epoxy.  I've used it with a very loose measure up to 10:1 and more without any apparent problem.  I understand the solvent keytone (sp?) is as good or better.  Be mindful of good venilation and/or respirator.  Application is very tricky.  You get one pass (I used a patch of clean t-shirt), no going back over an already applied area and overlaps will be visible so try to keep them under the handle wrap.  I used it a good bit years ago with both 5 minute and 2 ton (Defcon) epxoy.  5 minute seemed more clear, 2 ton alleged to have long working time and shelf life (once mixed) but I didn't find and dramatic differences.  If you keep it sealed up you can get 2 or 3 days from a batch.  If not sealed it will evaporate in a short time.  Did not find it any more effective than Minwax polyurethane, which is a great deal easier to work with.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Massey Finish????
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:18:39 am »
I never really measured Massey finish but mix it to the consistency that worked for me. I like it thin when I use it to seal a cordage handle wrap. Like David, I think any sealant will give you as good of protection as Massey. I have had sinew backed bows that had 3 coats of Massey and 2 coats of Tru-Oil over that and they still fluctuated with the R/H.    Pat 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC