Author Topic: warbow finishes  (Read 3456 times)

Offline WillS

warbow finishes
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:12:56 am »
Just wondering what you guys use for a finish on a traditional warbow with no grip?  I really want to use just oil and wax, but as there's no grip it keeps getting black grubby marks in the wax where I'm holding it.  Don't really wanna have to use modern varnish if I can avoid it!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: warbow finishes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:02:35 am »
Black grubby marks?
How very dare you! :o
That's 'Patina' old chap  ::) ;)
It also helps you to see where to grab it...
Now and again, I scrape it off with a claw finger nail and then a wipe of beeswax polish resores the pristine finish.
You be complaining about blood on your arrows next... >:D
Del
Anyhow, sweaty hand grease will accumulate on a modern finish just the same.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:48:36 pm »
I use a wipe-on polyrathane finish. I don't get any 'grubby' hand marks. The grip does become a bit darker coloured, but I like that. It means the bow is getting used.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:53:40 pm »
You can always put a nice finish on for looks like an oil, then when it's dry put a plastic coat cover the top.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:28:48 pm »
You be complaining about blood on your arrows next... >:D

I do have blood on one of my arrows - I got the nocking point too low to begin with.  I'm leaving it on...

I think I'll just stick to Danish Oil and beeswax rubbed over the top.  I wanna stay away from plastic/polys so as long as I'm not doing something wrong and the "used" marks are normal I'm ok with them!

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:44 am »
Tung oil

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »
To be traditional...
Sir John Smyth in his 1590 book, Certain Discourses concerning the formes and effects of diverse sorts of Weapons, writes of archers heating a mixture of bees’ wax, tallow and rosin to make a rubbing paste (applied via a woollen cloth) as a bow's protection against the elements. This mix is also recommended for the string. Roger Ascham's slightly earlier (1544) advice, via 'Toxophilus' is similar but suggests many coats of pure bees wax until a crust is formed. This advise is for yew bows.