Author Topic: i missed  (Read 6882 times)

Offline david w.

i missed
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:56:48 pm »
 today i saw 2 deer. they came to my stand and were 22yards away a 6 pointer and a doe. i drew held as long as i could but let down. then i drew again and shot right over the bucks back :'( :'( the trajectory is so differnt from a tree stand. darn wheely bows. i hate sights. i had to use one because i didnt feel ready to hunt with my 40#longbow but once i get a nice shooter in the 50# range i will hunt with that.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline david w.

Re: i missed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:00:39 pm »
should of posted this in the hunting section, sorry.

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 03:21:18 pm »
i am in the hunting section ;D sorry i thought i was in primitve skills and musings ;D  i just examinded my bow and actually the sight was loose. i fixed the problem and the deer are in trouble

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »
Put that stinking wheel bow down and use the stickbow.  You can miss with either, you just proved it.  40# is plenty of bow.  I hope you have better luck.  Justin
BTW,  I moved the thread here from primitive skills.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 06:18:07 pm »
 David YOU make the nice shooter, nes pas ? ??? french ?............bob

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 06:40:35 pm »
i was going to go again tonite but my sister had to be selfish and after my dad said i could go she walked out and said " forget you im going to my friends house and then to take pictures before my dance, to bad watch your little sister i dont care what you want to do"thats baisacally what she said. and she said it while she was screaming at me it went on and on. then i called her on her cell twice and she hung up. my dad will really get on her for this she already has a bad attitude. so now im stuck at home.
 >:( :'(

Justin thanks for moving my post ;D

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 07:29:07 am »
in ny 35 lbs is minimum.  quit cheating yourself and shoot the stick.  gauranteed more fun-even if you miss twenty times
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 07:48:51 am »
David I missed a doe at 8 yda the other night with a self bow. My first shot ever at deer with it and let me tell ya the
heart was pumping I was so cranked up felt like I was shooting my first deer again. What a rush ;D So toss the wheels in the dumpster and
get yer selfbow out 40# is enough just know your range limitations and place the arrow in the lungs and you will have meat ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

brokennock

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 10:59:30 pm »
 If you can hit what you need to with the longbow, hunt with it. 40#s is plenty with a 400 grain (or more) arrow and a good sharp broadhead. There is nothing to knock loose, nothing to adjust, you either do your part or you don't.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 07:11:48 am »
David everyone misses sometimes,you don't always here about it tho.I missed a big doe a couple of day ago,right over her back at 12 yards,I just set back and laugh and try again.You ought to try the stick but if you stay with the wheels bend at the waist,you have to keep the bow level or the sights are worth a hoot,lots of people do that they just drop there bow arm and don bend.I
don't always agree with shooting wheels but I do agree if you don't think you are efficient with the stick yet to use what you think you can make a clean kill with.Don't want to go out to just
stick um.I hate to here people say Ya I stuck one today,couldn't find it but I stuck him.Work
with the stick it will come around. :) Good luck and keep the faith you will get ur done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 09:25:41 am »
haha,. right after wirting back that you missed, i went out, stalked a doe in her bed to about 15 yards, waited for her to stand, and stuck a swamp bush branch just about dead center about 4 feet in front her lungs.  i had to apologize to my bow and laugh it off.  good stalk, bad shot.  EVERYONE misses. ;D.  "good arrow damn heap of work"?  yeah especially when you ruin it whacking a limb and you have to do it again!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 07:03:09 pm »
If you use your selfbow you won't have to worry about "loose sights" unless your head isn't screwed on. If you have the determination and drive to build your own bow, then apply some of that drive to practicing and getting comfortable with your bow. Maybe limit your effective shooting range and shot angles. It sounds like you have all the right ingredients for success, so don't be afraid to try and miss because EVERYONE misses at some point. Mine was Sat at 11 yards. Good luck with the rest of the season!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956