Author Topic: Sudbury bow  (Read 10274 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Re: Sudbury bow
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
Great looking bow! I tried a brown leather dye on a bow about a month ago but it would come off on my hands and my hands would be bright orange every time I used it.  :( 
How did you seal in the stain?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:54 am »
I'm a big fan - simple and elegant.  I think if someone googles "wooden bow" your full draw image should appear.
1’—>1’

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 11:52:19 am »
Excellent tiller!

Offline Bowman

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:27 pm »
Great looking bow! I tried a brown leather dye on a bow about a month ago but it would come off on my hands and my hands would be bright orange every time I used it.  :( 
How did you seal in the stain?

I use a leather dye called "NARVSVERTE"  Made in Denmark.  (www.roc.dk) I use a piece of cloth and rub the stain into the wood. It's dry very fast. I use oil when it's completely dry. 5-6-7 coats of "furniture oil" We call it "finishing oil"

:-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 03:45:27 pm »
Tillers all wrong, stain is not right, just box it and send it to me and I'll see if I can repair it... >:D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Bowman

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:30 pm »
 :o ;D ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 11:39:40 pm »
As much as I love that bow, I spent almost twice as long looking at the background.  Eventually I checked your profile and was happy so see you hail from my ancestor's neighborhood!  It's the old blood in me recognizing "hjem".

She's a thing of beauty, that bow.  Simple lines, graceful tiller, nothing complicated to get in the way.  Nice work, cousin.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:55:20 am »
Bowman, you have a good eye for tiller. Better than the folks who are properly pleased with your work to the point of not seeing what you saw--the top limb bends a little bit less in the middle than the bottom limb.

Close enough. In my opinion, sometimes it's better to call a bow ready to use than to keep pursuing perfect tiller and ending up with a lighter bow than was wanted.

That is beautiful work. I plan to make a Sudbury myself someday. I have a Wamponoag  ancestor, so I need to do this.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline randman

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 01:12:52 am »
Very nice! Love the color. I don't see nothin wrong with that tiller. I think it only looks flat in the middle of the top limb because of the way the pic was taken, you're lookin at the belly and the opposite edge which doesn't show on the bottom limb (maybe there's a tiny bit of twist in the top limb?) and gives it the illusion of flatness there. If you look at only the highlight on the closest edge of the top limb, it's a great bend. The braced profile reminds if some of the vintage flat bows (Stemmler, York) from the '30s.
Beautiful Wampanoag!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 02:42:49 am »
Thanks a lot. Thank you for all the cred. I think this bow is a peronal sucsess. I have made three other sudburys, but this one is going to be mine. Thank you JW-Halvorsen. You have a norwegian name. Where in Norway did your ancestors come from? :-)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 10:02:37 am »
Actually, that is an excellent tiller for that style bow. The bow bends where there is extra wood...the middle. Nicely done. Jawge
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:53:26 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bowman

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10:48 am »
Thank you.  :D  I used the drawing by Steve Allely. The dimensions are as the original and it is made of a hickory board. Replica? The original are probably made of a sapling? I'm not sure. :)

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 01:20:19 pm »
Fantastic! I also love that dark brown. The knocks are awesome too.  You did real good.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »
My guess would be no on the sapling. The Sudbury doesn't have much crown. I don't think anyway. I almost got a chance to see that at the Peabody but it is by appointment only. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!