Author Topic: Questions about Knee High Moccasins?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline mitch

Questions about Knee High Moccasins?
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:15 pm »
Alright I have never made a pair of knee highs before and need any advice.

Also I want to do some sort of fur trim around the top edge, would squirel or rabbit work?

I would also like to be able to replace the sole when they get wore out or torn?

I was also thinking about fringe under the fur trim? 

"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Questions about Knee High Moccasins?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »
One thing about rabbit fur is that it tends to wear out fast. You could try it, but you might be replacing it with something else before long.

I haven't made any mocs before (on the to-do list), but I would think that contact cement would work ok for attaching a sole (maybe rawhide?) that could be replaced.  I could be wrong, but I don't think that moisture would affect the glue much, and it can be pulled apart when the time comes to replace it. 

These are just suggestions, maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:29:01 pm »
The pair i made i did with brain tan deer i did myself.  I had some sections come out stiffer than i wanted.   I made these the soles via pattern planning.  They are a one piece sewed on the toe to outer edge of foot.   And then stitched another stiff piece onto the sole as well.   Even with doubled soles u wont believe how you can feel everything.  First few days using them will make your calves scream.   Also....plan on wet feet.   But nothing like em for a stalk.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54:30 pm »
I wear an incredible pair of mocs that I am hoping one of our newer members will be replacing soon (Kyle, I promise I will get you those measurements!).  Virtually ALL shoes worn by us people these days have some kind of raised heel.  Wearing that raised heel causes your calf muscles and tendons to adapt and shorten...even if very slightly.  When you switch to a pair of mocs you are over-extending those muscles and it comes as no surprise that they develop some serious pains. 

Go barefoot around the house as much as possible.  Do a little calf-stretching every morning, like runners do.  That way, when you hit the woods with your new teepee-creepers you won't come hobbling home with serious pain.  Nothing better for ground stalking than Hiawatha hightops!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mitch

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:58:43 pm »
 :) Awesome thanks for all the info i was thinking about doing the sole out of a thicker leather like maybe elk or buff it depends on whats available
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi