Author Topic: anyone know the types of tree's  (Read 2774 times)

Offline bobbykelley

anyone know the types of tree's
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:09:28 pm »
My back yard is a swamp but my neighbors backyard I can get in, at least more then mine. Well he said I could cut some tree's so I picked up some leaves and was wondering if I could get some help in iding them. I think two of them maybe red maple but not sure on the others. Thanks in advance.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline KShip85

Re: anyone know the types of tree's
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:34:27 pm »
I believe there is a sweetgum and perhaps a buckeye in there.  The two on the botto look like too many kinds of trees around here.  The others may be maples hard to tell.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:23 pm »
sweetgum is the 5 pointed star, the ovate ones might be cherry, and the others might be maple. Better pics would help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »
The two palmate ones on the left are sweet gum. Where do you live. That makes a differencs as to what trees grow there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »
I live in north Florida.  These tree's are growing on a creek bank. Can sweet gum make a good bow?
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:18:29 pm »
If you can get it to split it probably would make a good bow. Sweetgum is more fiberous than elm.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:39:00 pm »
If you find any of the little round spike balls laying around, then the five point leafs are from sweetgum.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:46:12 am »
Can sweet gum make a good bow?
it can.  I had a stave and let it dry for several months as a whole log.  When I went to split it the grain was way too twisted.  Other than that I wasn't terrible to split.  I've had a more difficult time splitting oak than sweet gum.  It does smell sweet though!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!