Author Topic: Estwing hawk?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline KShip85

Estwing hawk?
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:17 pm »
I've got an old Estwing framing hammer that I'd like to turn into a survival 'hawk someday.  Curious to know if anyone has ever tried it.  My thought was to try and make something that could be used for  a variety of tasks.  I was curious if a bevel could be created below the head above the grip on the steel neck to act like a draw knife and possibly turn the opposite edge into a scraper.  Anyone ever try anything like this?
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline mitch

Re: Estwing hawk?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:39:00 pm »
Well I dont know about framing hamers, but i have seen it done with ball peen hammers. Experament and see how it turns out thats how i figure such things out.  :)
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:57:03 am »
You may also want to look at a roofers hatchet.  They have a chopping blade on one side and a hammer head on the other.
Never seen one with a steel handle so you would most likely have to make the blade,scraper,handle that you want.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »
hell i allways thought a framing hatchet was a survival hawk, got a hammer head for driving nails or beating on zombies, nail puller, and you can chopp and scrape with the blade edge
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Chassit

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:02:37 pm »
As an ex framer (and roofer for that matter), I would advise against it.  I have seen hammer heads break and it is not pretty.  I would recommend either a drywall or roofing hammer as they are already a type of hatchet.  Some framing hammers also have an axe blade (rigging axe is what we called 'em), but they are considerably heavier than the roofing and drywall types.  Mine was 28 oz. whereas my roofing hammer was 22 iirc.  Anyways, just my 2 cents since I have considerable experience with these tools.
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir