Author Topic: Traditional Bowhunting for Whitetails by Brian J. Sorrells  (Read 3300 times)

Beleg813

Traditional Bowhunting for Whitetails by Brian J. Sorrells
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:13:07 pm »
Anyone read this book before? I had the pleasure of reading it over the flight out to Vegas this passed week and I was curious if any one else had opinions or thoughts on it?

I really appreciate the author's mindset geared more towards "the hunt" as opposed to "the trophy", and even though I'm a very inexperienced hunter I gathered that the skills and techniques proposed by Brian were well-thought-out, concise, and seemingly effective. He has a modest approach to his love for archery, hunting, or just being in the woods feeling more at home than inside with the air-conditioning.

The only problem I saw was Brian mentioning Carbon as his preferred material for arrows, and then saying, "Personally, I think that if a bowhunter allows carbon and fiberglass laminations in his or her hunting bow, then what's wrong with shooting carbon arrows?" (pg 12 III para.) If I knew now what I didn't know in the past perhaps I wouldn't have bought a "horse bow" that's about as traditional as my 05 Dodge, but live and learn as they say. I suppose that just may be my own personal bias towards "traditional" hunting and the fine lines of traditional versus modern that I myself have established.

p.s. Sorry moderators--I had no idea where to put this.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Traditional Bowhunting for Whitetails by Brian J. Sorrells
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 07:25:13 pm »
Brain's a good guy. Carbon arrows? Get out! They make arrows out of that stuff? They put it in bows too? I can't even get used to fiberglass bows. Next thing you're gonna tell me is they make plastic nocks, Beleg. LOL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Beleg813

Re: Traditional Bowhunting for Whitetails by Brian J. Sorrells
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:46:52 pm »
Haha! Regardless of what he uses I highly recommend the book. It was a great experience and a good read aside from whatever opinions I may have in regards to his gear.

I guess when I saw the "Traditional" part in the title I assumed the man was going to be in a loin cloth cro-magnum hurling spears at a grizzlies!!