Author Topic: Righty to Lefty  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Dave 55

Righty to Lefty
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:47:06 pm »
Ive had to switch from shooting right hand,right eye dominant and its definantley a work in progress,well that may be putting too good of a face on it.Seems with my right eye closed instintive goes out the window and gapping seems more natural,but thats not too natural either,have any of you gone thru this or have any advise,I could use it.. :(
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Righty to Lefty
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:23:41 am »
I've tried shooting lefty and I understand your pain.  ;)
  I have heard that if you are shooting instinctive it doesn't matter which eye is dominant. Have you tried shooting lefty with both eyes open?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:05:11 am »
Yes I have tried that Pat and when I shoot left handed with both eyes open only God knows where that arrows going.
Now is the good old days

Offline TBod

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:06:43 am »
I switched a couple years ago from right to left. I still have to close my right eye and I think I shoot instinctive. A couple weeks ago I tried shooting right again and it felt very strange. It was worth it for me anyway, god luck!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:16:37 am »
You are going to have to train your mind as well as your body for the change.
  Shooting with only one eye limits your vision and eliminated your depth perception. Parctice, practice, practice!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »
  Dave, I'm left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I have to be very consistant when it comes to drawing to my anchor and holding my bow arm in the follow through. I'm going nuts trying to shoot a thumb ring off the other side of the bow while still shooting "righty".
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:52:45 am »
It can sure be a tad frustrating cant it Eddie?  ::)
Now is the good old days

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:18:40 am »
Hey Dave, long time bud.....I shoot right handed and only the left eye is good so like Pat said ya gonna have to practice.....a whole bunch. This is what worked for me. I started at 10 yards, pushed the bow toward the targetand drew the string straight back.....(no fixed anchor point) after doing that over and over it got plenty good for me. Mind you, that I dont shoot at critters more than 15 yards, but over all I shoot arrows into a regular sized orange and that's what I call good enough. Ya aint gonna win no tournaments but you can kill deer and such humanely and cleanly.   Adapting is part of my old age medical plan which is a 3 part deal.....1: get over it, 2: get used to it, 3: die of it ::)
rich
good ta see ya aint pushin up daisies, too

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:00 am »
I like that rich, :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BearG

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:43 am »
I made the switch years ago, I shoot with both eyes open.  It seemed to come natural to me I still am bad shot be better than I was.  >:D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:03:33 pm »
Hey Rich I was hoping you would say something since I know you have the same problem as do some others,it is encouraging to see that they are dealing with it successfully.I had been closing my right eye and gap shooting,as I said and was doing good at 15 to 20 yds so I went hunting,had a big old long nosed doe come in around 18 yds pulled back on her lined it up nice and shot,never even SAW the arrow it wasnt even in the same zip code,I had forgot to close my right eye,no harm no foul,but I decided I for sure needed to do something differently. :o
Now is the good old days

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23:08 pm »
Wow i have the same problem!  It is causing me to shoot to the left.  Not sure if i will switch to shooting with my left hand or try to work things out with my right.  Dan Fitzgerald is blind i one eye and that has never seemed to bother him.