Author Topic: how do you guys aim?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

how do you guys aim?
« on: November 18, 2012, 01:32:07 pm »
When I shoot I don't really aim. I just look at my target with both eyes open and the arrow shaft is just a blur in my peripheral.  Its been working so far but I was wondering if you guys have a specific way of aiming.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: how do you guys aim?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »
Like you I just concentrate on where the arrow will go. With enough practice that is all that is needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline danny f

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:24:37 pm »
i do the same as you too, just look at the target and shoot.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »
Okie dokie.  :) I was just wondering if I was missing something. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »
There are many other styles of shooting where the arrow or arrow point are used as reference or sights are used.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »
That's what got me a confused. I saw it a couple different places that they use the tip of the arrow as a reference point. 

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:56 pm »
I went back to gap shooting about two years ago.  My yardage judgement is pretty good out to 30 or so yards and I hold at anchor for about a second.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:58:37 pm »
I just point and shoot. Not really using anything as a reference point except my eyes focused on the intended spot of impact. If your form becomes consistent it works pretty darn good.
Must say that I wouldn't win many competitive events but I do have some good groups on the bale and don't lose many arrows stumping.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DQ

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:49 pm »
Look for the DVD series called "Masters of the Barebow".  There is more bow shooting information there than anywhere else in the world.  LOL  Those DVDs have helped many people learn to properly shoot a traditional bow.   :)

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:15:51 pm »
Same way you point your finger! That is the simplest way I know how to explain it. Try it sometime... Look at something on the wall and quickly point at it with your finger. You will realize that your finger is not in focus either, but you can point at it with your eyes completely averted. Just takes practice to get good. Same with a bow, if your form is consistent, then the arrow becomes an extension of your finger.

Scott

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 03:35:40 pm »
Scott, that's a pretty good explanation lol.

DQ, I was think about buying that, I saw a couple commercials for it.

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »
If I don't shoot where I look I'm holding it wrong.

I can't use the arrow point for reference cuz I shoot off the other side of the bow
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:40 am »
Used to just look at a spot.  Had a hard time when hunting deer.   Now i gap shoot.  The process of looking at the arrow tip briefly eliminates the whole "shooting at the whole deer" issue.   
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.