Author Topic: Arrow modification  (Read 3134 times)

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
Arrow modification
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:57:36 am »
Hi, i just joined, And was wondering what i could do to improve my arrows and arrowheads;
The arrows are:
36" shafts,
shield cut flights(from cabela's.com),
shafts are 5/16" dowels from a hardware store,
The arrowheads are:
tin can lids,
a nail,
and short piece of dowel.
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: Arrow modification
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20:55 am »
First make sure u are using straight grain dowels without too many runoffs or else the arrow could break when shot and potentially injure you.  As for making your arrows "better", just keep practicing.  You could always try to fletch with turkey or goose feathers and tie them on with sinew, artificial sinew, dental floss, thread etc..  Check out the small game headsthread under the arrow topic at top of the page for additional arrow head ideas.  Also instead of tin cans u can use old circular saw blades and cut out trade points with a grinder or dremel and file to shape
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:47:03 am »
I think some taller and longer fletching would help you out a good bit.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:12:00 pm »
These are my arrows.
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:57:38 pm »
Are your arrows spined and sized correctly for the draw weight you are shooting?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 02:26:04 am »
Um. I don't know,Two of them are carbon shafts, and the other one is just a dowel from a hardware store.
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline mighty joe

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:36:34 am »
sounds like your where i'm at as well, i'll be watching this thread with interest.
the only easy day was yesterday and that's how i like it.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:43:21 am »
Concerning the arrow with the self nock; Was this nock cut against the grain?  If not it should be.  You could also wrap some thread, sinew, artificial sinew just behind the self nock.  I normally wrap behind the nock for about 3/8".  This will strenghen the wood behind the nock and help prevent splitting.  It looks like you used a 4-bladed broadhead?  Most "primitive" hunting arrows I've seen use a 2-bladed broadhead.  The slot you cut to fit the broadhead looks a bit rough.  You should reinforce the wood just behind the broadhead in the same manner as reinforcing the self nock, just increase the lengh of the reinforcement to around 1".  Good luck.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:50:26 am »
Make sure to read this one. It should get you well on your way to making excellent arrows.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:35 am »
Those tin can lids hit bone they will curl in a heart beat especially with four blades.Two blades are enough.I'm not trying to dampen your spirits any just stating fact.They look nice but at least 40 to 50 guage sheet metal should be used.Takes the same amount of time to make too.I see Cherokee helped ya.Good for small game like rabbits maybe,but a rabbit don't like those blunts too well either.....LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:53 pm »
You can buy circular saw-blades and cut them out, they are fairly thick so when they are shaped and sharpened it should retain its edge very well. the other thing you could do is to find someone who has old ones(maybe a professional who runs through them fast) They could be free or a buck or 2.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)