Author Topic: Maple Flatbow  (Read 6628 times)

Offline NTProf

Re: Maple Flatbow
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 11:55:02 pm »
I am going to have to look for some mountain maple to make a bow. That is one nice looking bow!

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 01:04:47 pm »
Nice work man, I really like the stain job on that piece. Seems like a dandy target bow to me!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »
I really like the overall look.  Tiller looks great also.  Good stuff!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline okie64

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »
Great looking bow Zion! Very natural looking.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:41 pm »
Beautiful bow Zion! You've got to love that mountain maple. I lived in Kalispell Mt for years and made the majority of my bows from it. It takes heat treating very well and can be left pretty narrow even at higher weights. I also agree with you on the knots and bumps they don't hurt the strength I usually saw right through them. It dries really fast with no checking, I've dried it in a week in a car in 100 degree weather just fine. Great wood!
SW Utah

Offline VicNova

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 03:51:53 pm »
Very nice. the tiller looks good
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 03:53:49 pm »
Nice Job!

55# is light? that is about as heavy as I want to go :)
45# at 27"

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »
I do believe that is the most finish I've seen on one of your bows, looks great I really like the looks of your bows, primitive, utilitarian and great bends, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:29 pm »
I do believe that is the most finish I've seen on one of your bows, looks great I really like the looks of your bows, primitive, utilitarian and great bends, Bub

Yes, like Bub said!
I like your work
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 08:01:14 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everybody!

Joec123able, mountain maple dries very fast so you can get a good dry piece in about a week with quick drying. But i think 3 weeks to a month or longer is best. Since this bow was pretty light that's another reason there isn't much set.

Yeah Dale i had this one as a log for a bit and then i roughed it out and let dry the rest of the time like that. This wood does make really good bows and it's a really light wood too.....

Thanks Bushboy! I guess since i've made a few of 'em now i've found what i like best and that seems to stick.

Thanks bow101, the tiller isn't exactly where i want it, i think the top limb could use a few scrapes on the outer third, but it's good enough(for now) !!

Thanks NTProf, yeah u should give it a try, i think it'll make pretty much any type of bow.

Thanks Accipiter, yeah usually i don't bother with a stain but maple looks really good with it!

Thanks PAHunter, glad ya like it.

Thanks Okie, i actually think it's one of my more 'modern' looking bows, idk tho lol.

Thanks Jmilbrandt, yeah it's a really versatile wood and you can do alot of stuff with it, plus it's easy to dry and is easy to work, that's a good wood to me!

Thanks Victor

Thanks Gopher, well i'm not exactly sure on the weight because i don't have an accurate scale, but i'm comparing it to my other bows and guessing it's around there.

Thanks Bubby, yeah i did more finish work on this one than i usually do and i try to make my bows more functional than pretty, the nice part is that functional things are pretty so no harm done there lol.

Thanks simson, i can say the same about your work  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 07:56:17 am »
Another good looking bow,tiller looks good and color is really different. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good