Author Topic: Hickory boardbow  (Read 3549 times)

Offline crwjr

Re: Hickory boardbow
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »
Sorry bout not getting any full draw or back pics but here ya go

I rigged up a personal scale to get somewhat of a weight and its at #62 I was thinking its around 55-60.
and the pics are from my iphone so sorry about the bad pics lol
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »
Good deal for the first piece of board that's gonna be a sweet shooter man, maybe  a few scrapes on the upper inner limb as was stated but it'll fling some arras!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:17 pm »
Mid limb on top needs a little more bend. Way better than my first bow though lol

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 01:51:41 am »
That's looking good. Great hunting pic.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:05 am »
The tiller is very acceptable - very good for a first bow!
But that narrowed handle is dangerous man! Those two chunks out of the sides of the handle are very risky. You should have left is the same width as the rest of the limbs. This narrowed handle is now starting to bend, which is not good when it has such width transitions.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 10:29:41 am »
I'm gonna back up what DarkSoul is saying.  Next time, don't do the narrowing thing and just leave it.  It could be that if you flipped it the other way you'd find it perform better. 

That being said, it's a really great first go.  Congratulations.
1’—>1’

Offline crwjr

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 12:58:02 pm »
Thanks guys ill take your advice on my next one, but 2" is pretty wide! I plan on glueing an extra peice onto the handle of my next bow. This one was built as a slight handle bend bow. It seems to be very strong and not to much hand shock at all. I plan on either doing a paracord hand wrap or finding some leather for the handle. It will fling an arrow pretty dang good :) I'm already on the search for another great board stave! What kinda finish does hickory like best? I was thinking linseed oil and a clearcoat!! Thanks again fellas.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small