Author Topic: Tennessee Osage  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Tennessee Osage
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »
Hey guys, I know with the wealth of wisdom on here someone can point me in the right direction. I am a beginning bowyer in east TN. I have completed one hickory board bow and two Black Locust stave bows. I have done a lot of studying, researching, and forum reading and think I am ready to tackle an Osage stave. Barring buying a stave on the net, where can I find someone in Tennessee that has Osage available for sale/trade, or is there any standing within a couple hundred miles that could be harvested? I would love to meet fellow Tennessee bowyers and learn from more experienced people. Who's out there?
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Tennessee Osage
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:39:12 pm »
Welcome! ;) I don't know where you are in relation to the boys at Twin Oaks, but that is a hotbed of top notch Bowyers, and all around good guys maybe pappy or 1 of the other fellows will make contact with you... good luck on your quest
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:48:00 pm »
the twin oaks boys are right outside of nashville.try to come to the classic in the spring.you will meet some of the best bowyers and people on the planet.you can buy osage at the classic and work on it right there.it is a good time.you should try to make it next year.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:44:00 pm »
Thanks guys! I've read nothing but good about Pappy on here, but hadn't connected the dots between Pappy, Twin Oaks, and Tennessee. I will check 'em out for sure. Nashville is about 3.5 hours from where I live, but I've drove farther than that deer hunting and with less results, I'm sure. Again, thanks a lot. This forum is great.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 11:25:48 am »
The Classic is well worth a 3.5 hour trip. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
The Classic is well worth a 3.5 hour trip.

DIDO that Clint!  Twin Oaks is just South/East of Clarksville.  If I were you, I'd PM Pappy and see what weekend they are going to be there and try to make the trip.  I wish I was that close.  Have a great one G. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 01:32:34 pm »
Yep! sure is, I drive 11 hours.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 02:54:38 pm »
If by any chance you can contact Mike McGuire he is the KING of osage. He has dropped off the  radar lately. No men on the planet has cut and sold more osage than him and his dad.

He lives about an hour closer to you  than Twin Oaks in Spencer Tn near Cookville. Goggle him up, you may get lucky and make contact.

I sure miss old Mike, wish he would surface somewhere.

Here is just part of what him and Kenneth had for sale at Twin Oaks in 2009.

Here are the two of them showing how to split an osage log.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:29:36 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 09:33:55 pm »
Holy smokes! That is a lot of staves. Thanks for the info guys. I'm already making plans to attend the Classic on May 3, 4, and 5. At least I think that is the dates. That should give me some practice time, and boy, do I need it!  The transition from training wheels has been a little rough.  :'(If I don't improve drastically, I may not shoot the tourney at all, but I'll still be there. Again, thanks to all.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 10:36:16 am »
I with you G.
I hope we can make in May.
I also hope to find some good Osage. Keep me posted of you make a good connection. I been workin' my butt off for the last couple weeks and ain't had the opportunity to much bowyering.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:04 am »
One of the special events at the Tenn Classic every year is the Selfbow Challenge. You buy a stave from Twin Oaks and build a bow with it with the help of some of the best selfbow builders around. On Sunday you shoot the course and compete with other "Selfbow Challengers". Most folks that join the challenge have never built bows before or have only built a few. It is a great way to learn plus meet lots of PA folks to boot. A few years ago we had 30 or more folks building bows and that weekend a Boy Scout troop with about 30 guys(and one girl)showed up and wanted to build bows. Myself and a few other guys helped the Boy Scouts and every one of them completed bows and some shot the course.
  I've been to the Tenn Classic for 6 or 7 years now and can't imagine missing it for any reason. I'm over 6 hours away from Twin Oaks.
 Also, officially the Tenn Classic is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday but usually it unofficially starts the weekend before so if you get a chance try to get there at least a day or two early.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:50:15 am »
Thanks guys,we are NW of Nashville off 124 about 30 miles. Don't have a lot of Osage,especailly not to sell but would love to have you come visit,might come up with something. ;) ;D Like Eric said Mike use to be a great souce but can't seem to find him,don't know what happened.  :)Kerry is also usually there with lot of sage. If you can wait till May their is plenty there for trade.Hope to meet ya someday. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:11 pm »
I can't wait to meet you guys and pick your brains a little. Sounds like a great place to hang out. Pappy, I checked out Twin Oaks on the web and admired the trophy pics. We may have stomped the same hills at LBL. Really looking forward to the Classic.