Author Topic: Is this guy on here?  (Read 4405 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Is this guy on here?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 01:39:57 am »
I think this is a inside publicity stunt funded by PA to get more subscribers. ;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 02:10:48 am »
I can agree. But I think the guy was paranoid of being robbed again to the point where he stops anything that hops his fence.

There shouldn't be anybody hopping his fence. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 02:12:17 am »
i agree. If someone is trespassing, for whatever reason, if you tell them to leave and they don't, then you can shoot.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 02:37:31 am »
Right, but he didn't tell him to leave. He told him that he COULDN'T  leave and that if he tried, then he would shoot him. That was my only point. For all we know, the kid was putting toilet paper in the trees for a gag, or was drunk or tired and walked into the wrong yard by mistake. Stupid things for sure but not exactly worthy of a death sentence.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:25 am »
he COULDN'T  leave and that if he tried, then he would shoot him.

No he said he couldn't leave or he would Skewer him.  Come on Weylin, you get the facts straight first.   ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline dwardo

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 07:17:45 am »
I think the story is great and the old boy should get a life time subscription. I hear what you are saying Weylin but keep in mind the guy was trespassing. If I found someone in my shop without permission I would naturally assume an attempted robbery. Especially if it had happened before. We have signs on the fence that state the property is patrolled by our Shepard's. The one sign that says our shepherd can reach the fence in 2.5 seconds is fairly accurate. Some may not like that idea or mindset but our dogs are trained to know the difference between a threat or a friend, and they are trained to protect for reason. Some people like electronic surveillance and we like the non electric surveillance. ;D

My Staffordshire bull terrier does the same  ;D
Although if you were brave enough to ignore the snarling barking teeth on legs and made if over the fence you would probably be licked to death. Couldnt resist a photo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:27:29 am by dwardo »

Offline agd68

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29:38 am »
Have to agree with Weylin here. I dont disagree with the old fellow arming himself to defend his hearth and kin, but there was nothing to defend here, no crime committed other than common trespass and apparently no threats made against him.. They tried to leave and he stopped one of them. Should they have been on in his yard..no, but it could have been anything from 2  drunks to an actual robbery but, when they went to leave peacably they shoulod have been allowed to go. As far as the paranoid excuse goes, those are the peoplew you dont want armed. Now that he's a local hero, maybe he wont wait for the cops next time and just pins some poor lost kid to the fence post.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 09:55:47 am »
The man didn't appear to be a raving lunatic, on drugs or senile. Given he has been burgularized before his response seems pretty appropriate to me. This brings to mind the weekly robberies at the c-stores in the city (Kansas City), some of those stores have been robbed several times in one month at gunpoint. The property owner has a right to protect himself.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:31 am »
I don't want to highjack this post--and maybe this comment should be moved--I didn't learn till this fall that a 'no hunting' sign doesn't necessarily include or restrict trespassing. And this law would surely vary from state to state and residential to rural property.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 10:49:05 am »
Been broken in on the middle of the night.  Held him at gun point till the police arrived.  No crime committed except trespass, B/E and no threats made....  except the threat of a stranger sneaking through my home in the middle of the night with god knows what on his mind.  Didn't have to shoot, but I would have.  No one will ever know in either case what could have happened.  Protect yourself.  The authorities are generally pretty good at investigating what happened after the crime.  I admire the guy.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

mikekeswick

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:13 am »
Absolutely agree with what he did. Who cares if some little urchin/thief/etc gets shot. If somebody broke into my workshop/garden/house then all I will say is God help them. Why else would they have gone onto his property?To play a joke....I don't think so.  He said that he is sick of people breaking into his house so I say fair play to him....he didn't hurt anyone and was only responding in what is an entirely natural reaction - looking after what is his. If more people were like him then there wouldn't be as much crime.

Offline tanner

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:55 am »
Yeah - I'm in the camp of worry about the criminal's rights after the homeowner has gone too far. Someone on your lawn - not such a big deal to scare them away. Someone in your house - safety is off. It would be a shame if it were all just a mistake and the "harmless" vandals got shot. It would be a much greater shame if the old guy thought about being sued before picking up his bow and ended up getting the crap kicked out of him or worse so they could rob him. Just my opinion.