Author Topic: bows during the winter: inside our outside?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Jodocus

bows during the winter: inside our outside?
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
It's been raining for a week straight. It doesn't get any wetter than this. My workshop is in a shed outside, not heated, but closed.

While I work on bows, I ususally take them in over night, so they dry up. I always got a couple of bows in my room that are in the making. I'm a little concerned though that they may get too dry. Should I take them outside for some days before tillering?

The finished bows sit on a rack in the workshop. I'm afraid these might actually be too wet and take excessive set. Should I take them in for some days before shooting?
Don't shoot!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: bows during the winter: inside our outside?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:02 am »
Put a simple humidity meter in the room where you store your bows, and monitor the humidity over the course of a few days. With a table found online, you can easily calculate the EMC of the wood, which will tell you if it's too dry or too moist.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:37 am »
If it is humid and damp in the winter where you are I would take them in,it is pretty low here in TN. in the winter,in the spring and summer it what I worry about and usually keep them inside.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:31 am »
iv been keeping mine inside and so far they seem pretty stable we had a norther blow in and its acctually cold at nite and in the mornings my wife leaves the windows open at nite to keep it cool and one of my billets have been buy it for a few days now with no change in moisture around 10-11 % i did move them to my kids room this morning i did notice that one has dropped a fre points still at 10 .5 but it was 11 ya few days ago so if it was my keep them in
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 06:46:35 pm »
Thanks! That calculator is neat.
Don't shoot!