Author Topic: Dog Bone rawhide sale.  (Read 4254 times)

Offline KShip85

Dog Bone rawhide sale.
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
I've heard of people using dog chews for bow backing.  My local hardware superstore just dropped the price on 24" bones from 14.99 to 5.99.  Are these worth it as backing to go stock up on?  I bought one before the went on sale and after soaking and stretching ended up with a piece roughly 10"x48". I was surprised by the size and uniformity for the most part.  What do ya think? Worth some investment?
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline autologus

Re: Dog Bone rawhide sale.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:12:34 pm »
Why not, you can always cut them into strips, dry them and sand them to the thickness you want.  They seem cheap enough to try out.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:02:10 am »
I'm curious about this to...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:09:20 am »
I have backed lots of bows with dog chew rawhide. It works great! It does vary in thickness, but I just reduce it once it is on the bow. I use string to hold the rawhide in place which also holds down the the irregularities while the glue dries. I even use leftover pieces to make hide glue. Buy a bunch of them! That's a good price!           Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:06:01 am »
All the rawhide bones i see in the UK are way too short, even if I were to splice at the handle.
Would be great to see a picture of the ones you get over there so i know what to look out for.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »
By the time you unravel the 24" ones, they are plenty long for half the bow, and wide enough to cut two strips.       Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:50:30 pm »
I tried this a couple of times without success.  My two cents is to save your money and spend $15 on a nice set of rawhide backings, they're three times thinner and of uniform thickness.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 03:54:32 pm »
I've never rawhide backed a bow before. Do you cut the extra rawhide off the bow after the backing is glued on, with a box cutter or something?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »
Ya, you just trim the excess with a knife or zip it through the bandsaw, and then clean up the edge with a file, filing from the back toward the belly so it doesn't catch on the edge.

Offline country

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:13 pm »
I'm with t.m.  .....dog chews were always too thick for me to work with..... I bought goat rawhide that is the perfect thickness has done several bows and will still be able to do a couple more out of it...  I also bought a drum skin that worked really well.... nice and thin.....  but most of the time I'm putting it over sinew so it helps to be thin...