Author Topic: 53# tri lam  (Read 5876 times)

Offline adb

Re: 53# tri lam
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »
Does "adb" stand for "ambitiously determined bowyer", or "absolutely driven bowmaker", or something like that?

No  ;D ;D. If it seems like I'm making a lot of bows lately, it's because I have a fairly big order to fill by Dec 8th. 5 bows, 6 doz arrows, bow bags, etc. I'm on the home stretch now, only 1 bow left to go.

I've been retired for 2 years from a career in medicine and health care, and this is how I make my living now... all be it, only part time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:15:40 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:00 pm »
Ooops, forgot to add... for all you mass theory monkeys, this one is 610 grams.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:55 pm »
Absolutely fine tiller job Adb! Man that is just awesome!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »
Just awesome.....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:24 am »
Very nice work,beautiful bow and tiller. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Markus

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:10 am »
It's only rock'n roll, but I like it, like it, yes I do. Very nice bow. :D

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:38 am »
That is sure a cool lookin color combo of woods you got there. Fine job Adam!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 01:44:14 pm »
perfect tiller! ;)
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 02:08:39 pm »
very nice bow with an excellent tiller, looks like fine work. 

Can I ask, why you put the ipe , the densest of the woods in the core and not on the belly? I have made a few trilams and I always put ipe on the belly....was wondering if you knew something I dont?

how long is the bow?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Holten101

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »

Can I ask, why you put the ipe , the densest of the woods in the core and not on the belly? I have made a few trilams and I always put ipe on the belly....was wondering if you knew something I dont?

I was wondering about the same thing.....but I know next to nothing about laminated bows:-/

Tiller is hypnotic.....I can stare at that all day.-)

Cheers

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »
Beautiful! How do yall do those inlay arrow passes? I always thought that an easy way might be to use a hardcore leather punch to punch out a shallow hole, (the kind you have to use a mallet with) than do another on the wood of choice for the inlay, and than just glue it in the hole and sand it down? I tried it the other day though, and it didn't work as good as I had hoped. Another way I was thinking was use the end of a dowel rod as a pattern, and trace the circle out with a x-acto knife, and then chizel it out like Del does. How you guys do those is just beyond me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:52:50 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline adb

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »

how long is the bow?

Sorry, the bow is 70" ntn.

As you mentioned, ipe and osage are both excellent belly woods... the two best, IMHO. So, I decided to try ipe as a core wood. Never done it before. I've used osage as a core wood with ipe. I thought the maple, ipe, & osage would make a nice contrast in colors.

I think many bow makers are under the misconception that the core wood doesn't matter. Not true. The core wood should be dense, and strong. This will make the bow stronger, with less set. Each glue line (2 with a tri lam) creates a plane of opposing forces of tension and compression. A weak core material, like maybe pine, will create a weak link.

Core wood doesn't matter when it comes to FG bows. The core wood is only a cosmetic layer with clear FG, or simply a carrying material for the FG if it's dark. The FG does all the work.

The woods I've used as core material for tri lams are: osage, ipe, bloodwood, purpleheart, yellowheart, bamboo, jatoba, bocote, and wenge. These are all dense strong hardwoods (except the bamboo, which isn't wood anyway).

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 04:02:57 pm »
Actually, I just finished a tri lam glue-up this morning. It's hickory backed, yellowheart core, and ipe belly. A customer wants a kit to make a 100+# warbow. The glue-up is 78" long, 1 1/4" at the grip, tapering to 1/2" tips. I've added ebony tip overlays, rounded the back, and cut and rounded the first belly facets. If he has any tillering skills, he should be able to make any weight he wants!  ;)

If anyone wants, I can take some pics and post them here. Just holler!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:31:47 pm by adb »

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »
thanks Adb,  what about the weight of using a heavy core?  In your opinion out of those woods, which one made the best core?
how did the bamboo core work?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline adb

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 04:16:37 pm »
The bamboo core wasn't a great success. Bamboo checks badly where I live because it's very dry. I don't use bamboo anymore at all, even as a core material. I used a bamboo core in a hickory/bamboo/osage tri lam... 100#@32", and that bow took >3" of set. I won't use it again.

As far as the weight goes with a dense core... I find the final mass is much the same as a simple backed bow. Also, with a dense core, I can make the limbs narrower, which are faster. I have to watch for prop twist, however. I've had really great success (as far as outcome and performance goes) with tri lam ELBs, and I enjoy making them. My favourite type of bow by far.