Author Topic: HBI layout advice?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

HBI layout advice?
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:05:17 pm »
I've done the preliminary glue up on a second Hickory Backed Ipe blank. Right now it is 72" long, the limbs are 5/8" total, 1/8" of which is the hickory backing. The width of the Ipe is 1 1/4", I overdosed the backing by 1/4" because of a slight bow in the Ipe. It has 3/4" of reflex glued in right now. The riser is 9 1/2" long and tapers up to 1 7/8" over 2 1/2". Before I start cutting the limb profile I thought I might seek the advice of someone who had successfully made an HBI, since my last attempt ended in a rather spectacular failure during tillering. I really don't ha e a specific draw weight in mind at this point, but I do have either a 28" (to the cheek) or 30" (to the ear) draw.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: HBI layout advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:28:06 am »
I have only made a couple of successful backed ipe bows. One hickory and one white oak back. Both were a slight bend in the handle design. I made one 66" and one 60" for my 27" draw and both had a pyramid taper from the end of the hand fade. With a stiff handle and 28 to 30 in draw I would leave it at least 68". If you have limited tillering skills and want the option of piking the bow if it is too light, I would probably leave it at 70" or so. Just my 2 cents.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:31:13 am »
The handle will most likely give you grief. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:48 pm »
Ipe excels at being narrow. I like making narrow ELB type profiles with ipe. Last one I did was 72" long, 1 1/8" wide at the grip, tapering to 1/2" tips. Round tiller.