Author Topic: 2 fletch arrow feathers pulling away  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Dictionary

2 fletch arrow feathers pulling away
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:30:19 pm »
Here's a quick one. I searched but i didn't really find the answer i was looking for. I feel like i'm missing something.

I've been using eastern 2 fletch on my last 3 arrows.I'm having trouble with the front of the feathers pulling out of the wrapping. Feathers end up disappearing. I typically have used 3 feather fletch and wrapped down through the feathers but i can't do that with 2 fletch. I was wondering if anyone knows of any tricks to keep the feathers from pulling out other than smothering it with modern adhesives?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: 2 fletch arrow feathers pulling away
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:33:57 pm »
Make sure you get them wrapped good, and the transition smooth between feather and shaft, let dry for 24 hrs. and seal with a pitch varnish, made with dried pitch covered w/ alcohol or turpintine and allow to dry another 24 hrs if needed.  Sounds to me like your not getting enough wraps on or it's not tight.  The varnish is not primitive per se', but not store bought either.  Good luck, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:30 pm »
Check this guy's video out. It's how I wrap mine and it locks them in tight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7flDd7-OCk

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »
Check this guy's video out. It's how I wrap mine and it locks them in tight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7flDd7-OCk

Hmm...clever. No problems with the "hump" hitting the side of the bow?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:46:20 pm »
I shoot off a floppy arrarest with no issues at all. I think that end of the arrow paradoxes around it for the most part. I shoot cane shafts. One thing I've really noticed is how quiet the two fletch shoots.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:12:07 am »
If u use real sinew it should draw up tight...what are you using to wrap feathers?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:45:00 pm »
Im beginning to use Artificial Sinew. I was just using some old thread for crafts.

I have No access to real sinew at this present time.

-JW_Halverson

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »
You can soak some thin superglue into the thread or artificial sinew. I've been wrapping with silk floss from the embroidery store my wife goes to.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:44:31 pm »
I know your probably wanting to make this primitivly so I was wondering what you were using in your pine pitch. whether Its plain pitch or your adding the charcoal and some sort of fiber... A little odd but I use deer or rabbit droppings.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:10:26 pm »
I know your probably wanting to make this primitivly so I was wondering what you were using in your pine pitch. whether Its plain pitch or your adding the charcoal and some sort of fiber... A little odd but I use deer or rabbit droppings.

No i haven't moved to doing this primitively. Im using artificial sinew but i just feel i shouldn't try and solve every problem when it comes to arrowmaking with super glue....... O:)

-JW_Halverson

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 06:14:31 pm »
I totally agree.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:28:29 pm »
I had the same problem.  To solve it, instead of stripping the leading edge of teh feather where the wrap will be, just clip it close with some small scissors.  That will leave a little stubble instead of a smooth surface.  As for not having access, pm me your address and I will get some headed your way.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 12:03:55 am »
I had the same problem.  To solve it, instead of stripping the leading edge of teh feather where the wrap will be, just clip it close with some small scissors.  That will leave a little stubble instead of a smooth surface.  As for not having access, pm me your address and I will get some headed your way.

That's a great idea. So the little bits of feather left will create friction and keep the wraps from moving back.

Im going to try that, and more wraps plus pulling tighter i suppose and we'll see if that works!

Also i appreciate the offer of sinew, but i'm going to try and build a bunch of non primitive arrows first using just this artificial sinew and modern adhesives to bind the feathers and heads. Once i feel accomplished at this, i will tackle on using sinew,hide glue,pine pitch,etc. That way i'm not wasting natural materials that aren't as easily accessible for me while im still learning. Thank you though!

-JW_Halverson