Author Topic: My First...  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Shaun

Re: My First...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 11:18:24 am »
My first about 10 years ago with much help from Brad Merkel and others, 52 @ 28 osage

still no set after much use

Retired to wall hanger after noticing hairline cracks on back (too much sanding to make pretty thinned the back ring) still has nice braced tiller but don't draw it any more

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 01:29:21 pm »
     Well, I guess I am getting in on this discussion a little late, but I enjoyed the thread and had a contribution to make. I don’t remember which year I made my first bow, but I still have it. Almost all of the bows I make are Indian bows; Plains style. This one is an Osage bow, about 46 inches long. It has a sinew backing on it, which is completely unnecessary. The bow shot well without the backing, but I backed almost everything bow I made when I first started. I thought the backings were cool. At one time it had snake skin on it too, but I revamped it several times and removed the snake skin years ago. Currently, it needs to have the tips rewrapped. I might get the glue pot going and fix that today. It has a bit of a propeller twist, but still shoots fairly well.                                                                                                                                            Curtis

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »
Very cool Curt.  Thanks to everybody that posted.  Lots of really cool lookin' bows.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »
I can't believe some of the firsts on here. Definitely out does my firsts! I don't have a pic of my first first but i do have my second ever made. For a while i tried using alder, and failed over and over again so then i tried out VIne maple, which is what this is.

It was probably 59" ntn and 50#. Now it's burnt.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »
Oops the pics:
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:25 am »
my first is dead and gone, no pics, here's #2, probablly still around 'cause it's my wife's bow, red oak with a strip of an old sheet for backing, my son did the fancy paint on it ,i have a fd, i'll see if i can dig it up, bub

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹