Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 122766 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:22 pm »
i agree, the wood you choose to work with is the best!  >:D and its true. each to his own.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2012, 01:31:47 pm »
Arrowind, I think your on to something. Can't wait to see it when you're finished!  ;D

Keenan, You bring up some awesome points as to why people like the woods they do. I noticed "because they make the best bows" wasn't one of them.

Autologus and ionicmuffin, That's the point I'm trying to make. It's not that osage is inferior but that a favorite wood should not be decided on how good of a bow it can make because they can all make great bows.

I personally love osage. Each year at MOJam I buy a stave, make a bow, and shoot it in the clout shoot. Its a real treat to work with compared to the hickory I use all the time. Think chasing a ring on osage is annoying? Try hickory.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »
Think chasing a ring on osage is annoying? Try hickory.
couldn't agree more
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2012, 02:14:17 pm »
"ross, the easier thing to do would be to take a bow that's already built and add weight to the tips and see how the arrow speed lowers and it's been done. If I'm not mistaken I think 65 grains extra on the tip adds up to a 1fps loss in speed but someone will have to confirm that for me. "

Problem with this is you don't take it to the extreme of instability. To validate the claim that an Osage bows tips would have to become unstable to approach the mass needed to achieve speed pf lighter woods, you'd have to go there.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2012, 02:43:05 pm »
Keenan, I'm right there with yah buddy. You said it perfectly. We're spoiled
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JABK

• jacksonabkendrick@gmail.com
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2012, 03:09:55 pm »
I might have gotten in on this discussion a little late, but I will carry on.  I got to thinking about this from a historical perspective, regardless of the inherent physics of different bow woods/designs. 

If you were to ask, for example, a Welsh bowyer ca 1300 what the best bow wood is, he would say, unequivocally, "Yew!"  Conversely, if you were to ask an Ottawa bowyer, ca 1800, he would say "Osage!"  Similarly, a Hun would say "birch, horn, and sinew," and a Pacific islander would say "palm."  (I'm sure you guys see where I'm going with this.)

So, historically anyway, the best bow wood is that which supplies the bowyer with the required properties, local climate compatibility, local availability, and familiarity.  I am not going to discuss bow designs or limb physics (mostly because I am a rank amateur and am breaking just as many bows as I am getting finished and shootable), but Osage works for me because it's available (aka a noxious, tire-poking, fence-choking weed), climatically stable, and pretty forgiving.  However, a bowyer in Oregon is going to use yew because it is available (though not a noxious, tire-poking, fence-choking weed), climatically stable, and forgiving to him.  Same for any other available woods.  A few people on this thread have said much the same:  "the best bow wood is the one you happen to be working."

I will concede, theoretically, that osage seems to suffer from less cast than other woods, but it appears that given proper (or improper) design, any wood can have less cast, or more cast, than osage.  Bows seem to be intensely personal things, so I would bet that 1000, 2000, 8000 years ago, many a spirited discussion over the best material has been perpetrated over a fire, or in a mead hall, or in a wickiup.  Luckily nowadays we don't settle our bow making differences with a dagger or stone axe to the eye. (God, I hope not)

Just a bit of cultural/historical relativity to brighten the day.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with logic.  Or a bigger hammer.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2012, 04:11:34 pm »
So if you were told that you'd be thrown out of the back of an airplane with a knife, hatchet, and a stave of your choice into a random corner of the world.  What piece of wood would you bring?

I know my answer and it ain't Poplar! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2012, 04:17:58 pm »
A 2 inch diameter branch of purple leaf plum. Its never failed me yet. Easy to work, strong, elastic, and makes a fast sweet shooting bow.
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2012, 04:54:24 pm »
ERC for me. Then I can split it out 4 ways to make a weather resistant, light weight shelter. The knife and hatchet is all I need to survive!

Ryoon...........your still crazy Sparty, aint no wonder they gragatated ya'.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »
ross, I see. Putting that hypothesis to the test. Also, good choice of wood. I'd love to try my hand at some purple leaf plum.

Parnell, I'd take the poplar. And the bow as a wing to glide softly to the ground!  ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2012, 07:14:54 pm »
This is likely a good time to mention that "Poplar" boards are highly unlikely to actually be Poplar. Rather they are likely to be from Tulip Tree which is in the Magnolia family.
 I'd actually like to see how true Poplar in stave form functions. I do know that the Poplar that ends up making a beaver dam is actually pretty tough wood. Walking across a beaver dam is often like a trampoline made of sticks.
 I should also mention that I was given what appears to be a prime Osage stave by a former member on here almost 10 years ago. In the initial stages of working it the wood seemed to show so many non bow wood characteristics that I have yet to finish a bow from the three staves it actually yielded.

mikekeswick

« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2012, 07:53:53 pm »
Well........what can I add to all this????
Ryoon - I'd very much like to meet you - I think me and thee are pretty similar in the way we think :) Top marks for starting this.
I like osage but it certainly isn't 'just better than other woods because it's osage'.
Personally I think design, design ,design is the absolute be all and end all because without a great design that takes in ALL the particular characteristics of the material you are using you are on the way to an average bow. Of course execution of that design is another matter all together......
My fastest bows have been recurves with elliptical tiller.....quite similar to modern glass recurves. I've made quite a few molly style bows and whilst they shoot very close speed-wise to the recurves I think they lose out for a few reasons. String angle and stored energy being highest on the list. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2012, 08:09:53 pm »
ryoon, i wonder how that thing preforms

hell i wonder how he holds on to it,gotta be pushing 5" wide at the grip, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
Excellent so we've concluded that it is all about the design. A well designed bow of any of the common bow woods will function just fine. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:42 pm »
Well, yes George we did learn that.  But we also learned that if we use Osage, we go from "just fine" to "mighty fine"! >:D 8)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.