Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 122790 times)

blackhawk

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #480 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:26 pm »
Na Carson..I like to boil the needles and make yew tea ;)

Offline Roy

« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2012, 02:27:10 pm »
I made my first Yew bow a month ago, it didn't bother me at all. But IPE sure ripped me up one side and down the other.

blackhawk

« Reply #482 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »
Its been a couple months later and guess what....osage is still the best best best  >:D

Offline iowabow

« Reply #483 on: March 06, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »
If tillered correctly
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline DGF

« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2013, 03:45:31 am »
If tillered correctly

Yet more forgiving when not.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2013, 07:59:18 am »
it will hit the spot if the shooter does his part ,even tillered badly.  :) Bad tillered bows are just as accurate. >:D >:D ;) :) Here we go again, 2 feathers ask in the Life is good thread what I do in my spare time. ???  Well here ya go. ;) :) :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Danny Roberts

« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2013, 10:28:27 am »
Good discussion. Lots of good information. I've made several bows from Osage, hickory and mulberry. With all factors considered, I like the mulberry over the other two. My Osage building days are numbered anyway. There is no osage around this part of Ky.
Kentucky

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #487 on: March 08, 2013, 12:41:23 am »
Wow. Lots of opnions here. I just find a tree in the woods and if it's a hard wood like hickory, elm, or bl or even white oak I will make a bow outta it. As long as it flings an arra fast enough that I dont' have to take a flight shooting stance to hit a target at 35 yards I am happy ;)
Greg

Offline Holten101

« Reply #488 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:44 am »
This is a discussion I would rather have left alone, but it became relevant after a hot discussion in our local bow makes guild last night. Since we are danes in a danish guild, we dont talk Osage (none of us have had the privileged to work that species)....so the topic was on yew, hazel and Elm.

Now...I detest Yew and have a low/hate relationship with Hazel. Wych Elm on the other hand...ah well, my love of Elm is well documented;-).

Long story short.....in my opinion there is no "best or worst", "inferior or superior".....there might be more or less forgiving woods, but in the end its a matter of personal preference:-)

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:22:53 am by Holten101 »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #489 on: March 08, 2013, 03:13:13 am »
What is Hassle?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #490 on: March 08, 2013, 03:22:09 am »
What is Hassle?

Sorry.....my bad....Hazel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel

Ps: Ill edit for clearity;-)

Cheers

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #491 on: March 08, 2013, 07:59:58 am »
So far I have made bows from Laburnum, Yew, Sloe (Prunus spinosa), Ash, Tree of Heaven, Hazel, Buckthorn, Ipe, Pear, Rowan, Elm even Alder (really bad bow wood, not worth the effort). I have in my sights; Boxwood, Cherry, and a lot more Sloe & Laburnum, and I may have found an steady supply of Yew! When I get a prospective new bow wood I make as many bows and styles as I can from it. One thing I always notice is that the consensus on a certain bow wood is not always correct. For example I have a deep D profile ELB style Ash bow that shoot and generally behaves better than flat bow styles from that wood and all the Hazel I have ever worked with has looked so promising only to crysal so bad even after heat treating that I have sworn never to touch it again. I will also admit that my preference for certain styles could also explain my failures as readily as issues with the wood.
One really important factor for me is wood density. I am always on the lookout for really dense wood, Sloe, Laburnum etc. Good bows can still be made from low density stuff like Buckthorn as we have seen over the last few weeks from Missilemaster and Pearl Drums.
I have never worked with Osage, and although I would like to it seems unlikely - as Scotland does not seem replete with Osage Orange trees – and besides it's a shame to only make one bow from a type of wood, as would be the case if I ever did score an Osage stave. So for me it's down to getting the toughest densest wood I can find and giving it a go.
As far as I can tell from being a member on here and paleoplanet and eating up every bit of bow flavoured information I can get, Osage Orange is a very dense wood that is good in compression and tension and does not mind changes in temperature and is very forgiving of bad design. Given all those factor I would say the balance of probability make it the best self-bow wood out there. Well not really out there – more over there! In the US.
All that aside I know there is a tree out there, not even sure what species, growing pole straight, wood as tough as brass, just born to bend and be made into the perfect projectile launcher. We haven’t met yet; but we will, I just pray I have a pruning saw on me when we do!

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #492 on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:11 am »
Ya got it holten,
Just give me a pice of wood to whittle on to make a bow that shoots am I am happy  ::)

Offline Roy

« Reply #493 on: March 08, 2013, 10:44:40 am »
I agree Osage is mostly fire wood. After I cut it down and split it and let dry, I then keep cutting into smaller pieces and burn it.

What's left I stain and seal and shoot arrows with. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #494 on: March 08, 2013, 11:00:54 am »
We should pin this to the top of the board so we can post to it weekly but should change the name of the post to "Life is Osage"   >:D >:D >:D >:D
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!