Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 122830 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #570 on: December 05, 2013, 01:14:18 pm »
  I will start a thread on it and anyone interested in using it can just send me an e email.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #571 on: December 05, 2013, 02:20:39 pm »
seems like no one likes dents or scratches on there bows :-\

its a hunting weapon, whether yew or osage. shes gonna get some scars. ive dropped my bows in rivers, thrown them across creeks, used them to clear bushes. its a tool, just as my knife is a tool. if at one day it meets its doom, at least it went out like a champion with plenty of battle scars.
dent, and scratched dont bother me. just gives the bow more character :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #572 on: December 05, 2013, 05:40:12 pm »
seems like no one likes dents or scratches on there bows :-\

its a hunting weapon, whether yew or osage. shes gonna get some scars. ive dropped my bows in rivers, thrown them across creeks, used them to clear bushes. its a tool, just as my knife is a tool. if at one day it meets its doom, at least it went out like a champion with plenty of battle scars.
dent, and scratched dont bother me. just gives the bow more character :)

You also have to see that osage doesn't fluctuate in poundage half as much as yew and doesn't gain moisture like a white wood
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #573 on: December 05, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »
. I worked my yew bow and love it but if I went elk hunting I am toting my osage along just because I feel it is a better partner where yew is less dependable and dents and I don't feel it as dependable

Yeah, yew is terribly undependable, especially for elk hunting. Note Bryce's look of shock in this picture is because he was so surprised his yew bow didn't just fall apart when he bagged this elk.

And Gordon only looks smug standing over this huge bull because he backed his yew bow with sinew otherwise it never would have survived to deliver the killing blow.

I'm glad we found out from you that yew is unreliable. Now we can go burn our yew stashes for firewood. What a relief! ;D

Lol. I hope you know I just feel that way for my personal preferences I see in my bows. I have seriously been laughing at this for 10 minutes straight.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #574 on: December 05, 2013, 07:26:18 pm »
Badger, yes that love/hate BL feeling I'm familiar with, I've had a few more that have failed on me than succeeded but the ones that made it I love. Two of which I used to flinch every time I drew them back for a few months and my draw is only 25" on a good day, finally figured out they were safe. I have three that have probably seen a couple thousand arrows each and they each go hunting with me from time to time, one even took a deer last week. I will say that they have each taken an extra 1/2" of set since initially made and broke in to present day, around two years of use.

Bryce, I'm ok with dents and scratches in my hunting bows. I've taken deer with elm and black walnut bows that were sapwood backs and dent quite easily, I was just more careful with them while out there. ;D    I'll hunt with alot of different bows but osage is my main go to hunting bows. I trust it to be strung for hours and still shoot well and when I unstring it after 10 hours in rain, cold or heat it will recover shape right quickly. Not saying all others won't but in my collection I know the osage is the one I can count on to do this well.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #575 on: December 05, 2013, 07:28:57 pm »
My yew bows have been to the dry high desert and in the low coastal rain forest. And in down pours. Never noticed a difference in shooting.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #576 on: December 05, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »
Won't doubt you there Bryce, never had any yew myself so I don't have any first hand knowledge of that wood. Lots of experienced bowyers like you to the old timers love it for a reason beyond just its beauty. I'll get my midwesterner hands on some one day and give it a go. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #577 on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »

Lol. I hope you know I just feel that way for my personal preferences I see in my bows. I have seriously been laughing at this for 10 minutes straight.

I was just getting in on the trash talking.  >:D

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #578 on: December 05, 2013, 08:21:29 pm »

8)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bushboy

« Reply #579 on: December 05, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
i love the yella stuff,but elms good too!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #580 on: December 05, 2013, 08:41:18 pm »

Dude that was one of the most hilarious things I've read in a long time.  I was literally Laughing Out Loud!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #581 on: December 05, 2013, 08:46:39 pm »
Osage can Yew see the King of Bow Woods, Hickory!

Ooooh SNAP!   

.....or Oh CRAP depending on if it really did SNAP or just a little creaky crack....... either way that kinda sucks no matter what wood you got!   :laugh:

I've never taken a deer or elk or bear with my Hickory bows but there's a good chance I may take the cat.......He can get really annoying sometimes.  Not Del.  He's awesome.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #582 on: December 06, 2013, 01:12:04 am »
I can't imagine living life without either yew or osage...
Gordon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #583 on: December 06, 2013, 02:55:08 am »
Well Gordon we've always got out Vinemaple :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #584 on: December 06, 2013, 06:04:27 am »
It's all good if it will make a bow,hope yall know this is all for fun anyway and no one takes this to serious. :) Even tho Osage is King. >:D ;) ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good