Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 121177 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #540 on: December 04, 2013, 01:17:37 pm »
Ah  oo Here we go again !!
Gota love it !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #541 on: December 04, 2013, 01:26:44 pm »
ERC!  ERC!  ERC!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #542 on: December 04, 2013, 03:18:56 pm »
im only on pg 10.... whew!.. but i had to say this..from my limited experience building bows ive come to this conclusion...your gonna have to do SOMETHING to just about any other wood to make it perform and hold up to the KING ...heat..back...reflex...recurve..somethings gonna have to be done....OSAGE...you scrape and go!    lol..( not literally of course)... O:)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #543 on: December 04, 2013, 03:19:49 pm »
and now...on to pg. 11.... :o
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #544 on: December 04, 2013, 03:33:47 pm »
and now...on to pg. 11.... :o

You've got a long road ahead.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #545 on: December 04, 2013, 07:23:30 pm »
Just wait till the poplar paddle/bow makes an appearance! Haha

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #546 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »
"Badger are you suggesting that  - osage just takes more punishment over time and breaks down slower? hence - "For some reason I always end up taking osage, for me it just seems to hold up the best in a high stress design." "

Arrow, I don't like to state things like that as fact, more of an opinion. Most of my bows seem to shoot about the same from any kind wood, if the dampness is up the whitewoods seem to lag a bit. But when I do get a bow that really shines for some reason it is usually osage or yew. I have had some really fast maple bows, I love maple but at some point they seem to breakdown from where they started, usually do to being shot at moisture levels different from where they were built at. I have osage bows older than dirt that just don't seem to change.

Badger,
Understood.  I didn't read it like you were professing to state it as fact but more of a opinion based on your experience over time.  If a guy who has experience making 100's of bows from every kind of wood feels like he needs to reach for osage there is a reason for that.   I really think that many tests that are done to determine the merits of certain materials specifically with wood fall short.  There are so many variables as we all know even with the same species. The larger the numbers the more accurate the results.  Right?  In your case your experience has led you to say you reach for osage.  You have the good fortune of TIME, LARGE NUMBERS, AND EXPERIENCE which bring you to that conclusion.  Just my thinking.   Now the subject of tests.  I think a selection of 100 bows made from osage with the exact same design and mass along with 100 bows each from other woods to be compared each shot 10,000 times or some obscenely large number over a number of years would yield extremely accurate information.  Of course it would be insane to try and do that on such a large scale.  Based on what I know from those who love osage and those who have used it the results may very well lead them to conclude "I would reach for osage".     
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #547 on: December 04, 2013, 11:05:07 pm »
lots of ppl prefer osage. but there are some who do not prefer osage. i have seasoned osage staves and billets. the last sage bow i made was back in February. when my hands want to make a bow, they reach for yew, juniper, or vinemaple. thats not to say that osage isnt a premium bow wood. bc it is.

osage isnt my "king of bow wood"

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #548 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:25 pm »
I need to try these white woods everyone is boasting about. Then I will decide which is king  >:D  but I think it may be based off of opinions that aren't necessary, price, etc., and making that play a little bit of a role in their opinion. I like the workability of non osage woods but they seem not as substantial. I think osage is the ultimate "hunting" bow. Consistent, decently fast, doesn't dent easy, easy to work with hand tools(takes longer than yew but it likes hand tools!) it is more dependable and rugged, etc. It may not be a speed demon but if it is dependable I would use it more often than any others. It is like wearing your favorite pair of pants and the new skinny jeans my peers wear. My favorite pants are dependable and rugged but I could try to fit in some skinny jeans and who knows, it may make you look awesome or something might give  :laugh: who knows what is going to happen because they aren't as substantial. I worked my yew bow and love it but if I went elk hunting I am toting my osage along just because I feel it is a better partner where yew is less dependable and dents and I don't feel it as dependable
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #549 on: December 04, 2013, 11:40:50 pm »
and for me Hickory is King.  I think Ryoon referred to it as white gold once. I agree.  I know it may not be the BEST bow wood but it's the best one I have access to and am currently most comfortable with... or at least the best one that I know I have access too....sometimes you just don't know what you don't know....you know?

And it sounds like for Marc  Elm is King.   or select elm.   I keep forgetting about elm.    I gotta try that one too.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #550 on: December 04, 2013, 11:50:59 pm »
That's funny bandit! I hunt with a yew bow, and my back-up is a yew bow :) lol
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #551 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:45 am »
Elm was Nature's attempt to combine Osage and Yew in one tree.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #552 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:52 am »
Elm was Nature's attempt to combine Osage and Yew in one tree.

An than it failed and turned into a white wood >:D there is a reason why gold and osage have the same color >:D LOL
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #553 on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:58 am »
Osage tarnishes, Elm and Gold don't.  >:D

Offline RyanY

« Reply #554 on: December 05, 2013, 01:13:25 am »
I love you guys. Finish finals a week from tomorrow!  ;D