Author Topic: need some advice  (Read 1461 times)

Offline shookmonster

need some advice
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:25 am »
ive posted on here about this bow im currently making, its an osage stave, my goal was to try for a 50- 60 lb at 28, limbs from handle are just shy of 1 1/2 inches, tapering to what i think im going to settle for around 3/8, looking at the bow compared to my other one that is 1 3/4 tapering to 1/2 in and 55 #, how am i going to get that lb out of a  bow that limbs are thinner?

i know its possible based on limb tickness and length, my length is 66 ntn, i just dont want to make it a less poundage bow if i dont have to, ideas, thoughts and comments please

blackhawk

Re: need some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:37:48 am »
Your fine and you'll get there by proper tillering

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:38:06 am »
Keep it the full 1 1/2" wide to mid limb and tiller elliptically. You could also try and heat treat it a bit if it feels like it's going to come in light. Depending on the density of the osage you could get a much heavier bow from a narrower piece of wood.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:46:10 am »
Given the length and width of your bow ( and the previous one--1 3/4" wide) you are probably 'over-building' plenty. You might pike the bow a couple inches and carefully retiller, this should increase the weight--osage can handle it.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline shookmonster

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »
does flipping the tips a little make up for poundage?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:07:13 pm »
es, flipping the tips does make up extra poundage but it also adds extra stress to the bow so be sure your tillering is spot on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 01:13:07 pm »
TBB shows several osage bows at 1 1/4 inches that wind up at 50+ lbs. its got a higher density than a lot of woods, allowing it to be thinner? something like that.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)