Author Topic: Flatbow 'help-along'  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Eastman

Re: Flatbow 'help-along'
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:29 am »
Drawing it the first few inches
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:19:05 am »
Right limb still very flat from fad to mid limb. It does seem to have some natural reflex in that limb so it may be slower coming around,go slow,few scrapes at a time till you get it moving. :) Also be careful on the left at the fad,don't take anymore till you get the rest of the limb moving,can hinge there pretty easy. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eastman

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:52:12 am »
Thanks for all the advice, I really need it  :)

Braced 3'', drawing it 10''
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline Eastman

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:24 am »
I'm completely leaving that hingy spot alone. Just slowly removing wood from the rest of the limb.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 06:17:10 am »
Left limb fad to mid limb,right limb mid limb to tip. Are you putting it on the tree the same each time ? Looks like you have swapped sides,I always put it on the tree the same each time so I can keep up with what I am doing.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eastman

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 02:14:11 pm »
I removed the wood like Pappy said and slowly kept going. :) Here it is at 14''. The right limb looks like it's got a hinge, but when you look at the bow unstrung it's just a kink. Or am I wrong?

Offline Eastman

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 03:16:40 am »
Here it is drawing about 40# @22''. Tiller looking ok?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:35 am »
Right limb needs to bend more from center to tip.  I'd probably flip the bow around and pull it looking at the other side of the limbs just to be sure of what I was seeing on this side.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:27 am »
I don't see any hinge. :) What Steve said on the right limb,looking good so far. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eastman

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »
By friday afternoon I had it up to 45# @25'' :D. I was away for the weekend so I couldn't do any further work.

Tomorrow I plan on sanding and cleaning up the bow, then slooowwly start shooting it in and tweaking the tiller if necessary. By then it will be about 45lbs at 28'' I hope.

Does this procedure sound OK? I really appreciate all the help and advice  :)

Offline Eastman

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 04:40:15 am »
Here's some pics of the bow after some sanding. Drawing 45# @26''.
The limb with the deflexed tip on the left and on the next pic it's on the right. The limbs do have slight propeller twist. So the limbs appear to bend kinda differently in the pics.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 07:18:50 am »
They are not perfect but I don't see any real dangers.  I'd have to see the limbs up close to see where possible stiff areas would be and figure that into the tiller picture.
To answer your question, yes, it is a good plan.  And not to confuse the issue but, personally, I don't use my tree to full draw extent.  I use the tiller stick up to 16" of draw then I go to the tree for 20+ inches then I pull in front of a mirror beyond that.  Thats just me and there are other ways to do it.  You can and will get different tiller pictures if you pull the string from where the arrow will be. 
So if I were you I would take the bow down and pull it in front of a mirror and compare that to the tiller tree picture.  If they are very similar then, by all means, stick with the tree to full draw.  Otherwise, you might want to tweak tiller via the mirror. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:40 am »
Looks like the left limb is bending a little much a few inches from the fad to mid limb,that could be the twist,flip it around and see how it looks, also like steve said I like to draw them by hand when I get out close to full draw and see how they look,sometimes you will be suprised at how good or bad they look,but is usually different. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eastman

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 03:43:10 am »
drawn to 24'',

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 06:58:34 am »
Hard to see with the pictures side ways but looks like the top needs to bend from fad to mid limb and the bottom from mid out to about 6 inches from the tip. Not looking to bad at all. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good