Author Topic: Flatbow 'help-along'  (Read 6496 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Flatbow 'help-along'
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 09:11:07 am »
Ditto Steve.  I only use the tiller stick for about 16 inches.  I would get the limbs bending as close to perfect at that length as possible before I started shooting it or even bending it much farther.  You've got some spots that need a little attention before proceeding.  Don't rush it at this point.  Common desire for everyone, especially new bow makers.  Get it right, then go another inch or two.  Your bow is at the point where your patience and attention to detail, or lack there-of, will determine the outcome.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eastman

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 04:16:52 am »
After a little more sanding on stiff spots here it is again at more or less 43# @26''.
The first pic below shows all the character before tillering started, just to comapre to the bow when drawn. It may not be perfect, but any other pointers? Thanks
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline DGF

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 04:43:32 am »
I'm no expert, but I think it's coming along nice. Bends look good to my untrained eye. Kind of fun seeing the progress through tillering step by step.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 06:13:57 am »
Looking good,maybe a little more on the fad on the left limb. You about got it. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eastman

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 10:32:42 am »
This will probably be my last post for the year. The bow is coming along fine ;D As soon as I get the bow finished I'll post it early next year. Heading to the coast tomorrow, so if I can I'll post one last draw pic.

Thanks for all the much-needed advice, I really appreciate it. An early Merry Christmas to you all. :)

P.S.
The bow's name just 'popped' into my head in the way that they sometimes do.   "Grace"

''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson