Author Topic: Spalling raw rocks?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Spalling raw rocks?
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:38:02 am »
Anyone know a video on how to get started in a raw rock?  Cortex and everything?

Also.  I have these rocks that are like an amber honey in my landscaping.  They "should" knapp... they aren't the biggest BUT they are pretty and SUPER hard.  Infact the latter makes them just about unknappable it seems.  Anyone know what that is and if heating them will soften them?

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Spalling raw rocks?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:39:54 am »
from what ive seen and heard, very hard rock becomes more manageable when you heat treat it. It depends on the temp of course, if you think about it logically you will see that when metal is heated really hot and then let cool very slowly it becomes very soft, where as if you dip it in something until it cools in a few seconds then you have just made it harder. so basically if you heat something up and cool it fast you will tighten the density of molecules thus making it harder, and vise versa is true about heating it up and allowing it to cool over about 12 hrs unlike you did previous, you will find that the molecules we not able to compact as fast, that is because when something is cold it has more molecules per inch cubed than that same substance in a hotter form. So if you are rapidly cooling a substance you will make the molecules compact tighter than if you let it cool off slowly, in any case, when you heat treat rock i believe that is what you are doing, you heat it up to about 600-800 degrees for 8-12 hrs and you let it cool off slowly, thus making it much softer. This principal is why glass shatters when you rapidly heat it and then cool it rapidly. the molecules cant handle the compression and it breaks. I hope that made sense? Good luck on whatever you choose to do, and make sure to post pics of the lovely rock!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »
That is true for Ferrous metals... non ferous metals like copper and silver are the opposite actualy.  It's more about alignment of the microchystaline structure.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:18 pm »
ok, i dont know then   ???
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:17 pm »
A pic of the rock would help. Really hard grainy rock does well with wooden billets
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:18 am »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
That video of Patricks is very good.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 04:14:13 am »
Thanks, Don!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 10:35:48 am »
Excellent vid brother
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 07:55:50 am »
When you heat Burlington....The quartz melts a little and so the wave generated by striking the stone can flow through the material not around the quartz structures.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!