Author Topic: Northstar  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Northstar
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »
Great Bow! I love the purple heart and osage.  Those are great colors together.  I noticed that you do a lot of laminated bows.  How are you getting those strips? Are you using boards?  Do you use a thickness sander or simply a table saw?  Thanks for your post. 

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, all!

Probably 80% of the bows I currently make are laminates. They're really bomb proof for customers. Also, I can select the grain I want, and the wood combos I need.

I make all my own backing & core strips. Yes, from boards. Some kiln dried, but most not. I select, season, and cut all my own wood. I order my osage directly from a sawyer in the USA, and he provides me exactly what I want.

I use a thickness sander to achieve dimensions and finish for gluing. I was using a planer, but the finish was not smooth enough. I use nothing but TB3 for all my glue-ups. It's cheap, strong, readily available, and cleans up with water. It also does not require a hot box for curing. I've never had a glue failure with it, including war bows up to 120#.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »
Wow thanks so much for responding.  I am a first year bowyer and I am soaking everything I  can get from this site and people like you.  You are my first responce after about a year of reading. I remember you saying in the past that you have customers, so congrats for getting to do what you love for a job.  Well done sir and well done on that bow.

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 06:57:25 pm »
Well... it's more like a paying hobby. I'm not getting rich making and selling trad archery gear! Not interested in being a 3rivers. I sell enough bows and stuff to make my hobby pay for itself. I get as much of a kick teaching my seminar once a year than anything. To see the look of pride on someones face after making their first working bow is my drug! Hey Cam!?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:02:01 pm by adb »