Author Topic: precut feathers?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline paulsemp

precut feathers?
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:27:58 pm »
I have never made arrows with premade store stuff (precut feathers/plastic nocks). I do not have the time to keep up on my arrows and am ready to order so I can shoot more often. What length feathers/ and cut do you guys prefer?  Also what premade shafting do you guys like?  Thanks

Offline agd68

Re: precut feathers?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:46:33 am »
I like the sheild cut in 41/2 to 5 " length. Sitka spruce is a good commercial shaft. I find alot of the Port Orford Cedar is getting pretty bad lately. You can order cane shafting at 3 Rivers but that is scarry expensive stuff.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:40 am »
If you're in a situation where you have to purchase shafts and don't have the time to straighten them you'll be hard pressed to find better value than the chinese bamboo on ebay. Plenty of good shafts being produced today despite some of the negative comments that I often see posted. Surewood shafts are excellent as well as the Sitka Spruce mentioned above.
You may want to take a look at tapered poplar (Twig Archery) which in my opinion makes an excellent arrow shaft. I remember awhile back a member here was also working on producing tapered polar shafting so you might want to do a search.

As far as commercial feathers go when not using wild turkey primaries I generally use TrueFlight shield cut 5" but that's only personal preference. Most any shape and length will work just fine as long as your arrows are tuned properly to the bow. Some shapes are quieter than others but mostly it's individual taste for aesthetic reasons.

You should be able to trade for both the items you're looking for.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:20 pm »
I use 5 inch Shield cut if I buy any,haven't in years but if I was that is what I would order.Charlie[stringstrecher]  on here make some nice poplar shafts,I am using some this season and they are straight and very durable as far as I can tell. :) :) pm him and check them out,not sure on what he wants for them,I done some trading. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »
I always bought 5 1/2" shield cut feathers when I bought them. Now I burn my own pattern.
  I also have some of Charlie's poplar shafts and just like Pappy said they are straight and very durable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
Thanks guys, I know where I will head from here. Makes me sad not cutting and grinding my own but I NEED some more arrows like now!