Author Topic: Spining Short arrows  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
Spining Short arrows
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »
Ok Ive been at this for a few days now, and Im at the end. I am making short arrows for my 47 inch bow. I need to know how i can test the spine with my spine tester i made. I know theres adjustments and things i need to do But I don't know what or which. Is there a formula for this i need to work with or do i need to make a totally different tester? I was told i should throw em all out and start over because its all different with short arrows and its easier to just go with the original instructions for 28" arrows.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spining Short arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:56 pm »
For each inch under 28" you can add 5# of spine weight...so an arrow that is spined at 50# will shoot like a 60# spined arrow if cut to 26".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:27:07 am »
Wow.. so in that example.. my 24" arrows would be shooting at 80# correct?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:14:42 am »
70 lb.  if you started with 50 spine at 28. Also tip weight plays a part,heaver tip weakens the spine and lighter tip stiffen it,not sure the exact amount,just have to play with that our maybe someone that does know will chim in. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:18:28 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:31:58 am »
Stalkingfox, you did not say what spine you started with.  But as Pat said, you add 5# for every inch you shorten the arrow from the original 28".  So at 24" you would be adding 20lbs of spine to what ever you started with, assuming you are using 125 grain points.

Pappy, most use the rule of thumb that it is also 5# for every 15 grains over or under that.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »
This is gonna be more difficult than I thought, I am trying to get these all working beautifully yet still easy to build in a way I could go out in the field and build arrows. My arrows Are roughly 24" but theres also a foreshaft insert which could add 3" or so. They all have different weights due to large and small game.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »
Your arrow length includes and footing you add. Also, make your arrows longer. Arrows don't have to be the length of your draw. My draw is 26" but I cut my arrows to 30".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 01:24:58 pm »
I was actually thinkin I didnt want my arrows to extend WAY out from the bow, but maybe I should. Ill try these ideas and respond here. Im sure itll all work fine, Id hate to go to longer bows, i like the shorter ones. I want a short bow that is R/D, not sure how to go about it yet. I read to use steam but not sure how to apply or how much of the wood to bend. So many questions not enough material LOL!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
Different woods prefer different heat manipulating methods. Osage likes dry heat but hickory preforms better with steam.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 11:38:55 am »
 Personally I have'nt spined or weight a arrow in a dozzen years. If it shoots good from my bow I use it. If it's to stiff I sand it untill it shoots. If it's to light I just hang on to it. I'll surely make a bow light enough that it will shoot from it. I uselly give it away when I sell the bow.
  Forget the nomal spine tester and built one just for my arrows.
 To do this get arrow that shoots good out of your bow. Take your arrow lay if flat on a 2x6. Now mark in a inch from each end. But a finishing nail at each end so your arrow will set on it. Find the middle between the nails. Take 3 or 4 inchs of a ruler. Glue it where you found the middle.
  Now take the arrow that shoots from your bow. Put it on the nails. Make a 2 pound weight that hangs and hang from the middle. See where the been in the arrow reads. Thats what your spined arrow SHOULD READ no matter the arrow lenth . Sand the ones your makeing untill they read what your good (shooting)arrow reads.
  YOU HAVE A SPINE TESTER THAT WHEN YOU CUT TO YOUR ARROWS TO LENTH. YOU'LL KNOW WHAT THAT SHORT ARROW SHOULD READ TO SHOOT FROM YOUR BOW.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 12:16:28 pm »
From what I've seen and read, a lot of primitive tribes use very long arrows, anything up to 4 feet / 48 inches.  If you use a longer arrow you can often get quite a bit of spine tolerance, as the arrow bends at several points along its length on release, rather than a single 'node' of bending.  If you use cane or bamboo for your shafts, you get another gain in the natural taper, which seems to help more as well.  For 3D shoots, I shoot 32" bamboo shafts, spined at 50lb, with a light pile (100 grains) in a 44lb draw weight bow at a 28" draw length.  They come out lovely and straight :)  So don't feel you need to cut your arrows to a short length to suit your bow..........
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »
thank You everyone, Ive been using maple sapling shoots for the shafts which are heavy but straighten beautifully. I also put in for shafts in case something happens to the head I can just replace the forshaft again thank you all soo much