Author Topic: Epoxy on linen?  (Read 7883 times)

blackhawk

Re: Epoxy on linen?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:13:06 pm »
What about rawhide n titebond or hide glue...way cheaper than using west system epoxy,cus that stuff is kinda pricey and you mentioned doing this on the cheap. And rawhides some dang good protection,and easy to do.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »
A 16 oz set is $20 here. Remember guys, I live in a coastal area full of wooden boats. Its harder to find rawhjde around here than G/Flex.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:00 pm »
G Flex itself isn't actually a good choice since it doesn't really wet out fabric well. The 105 resin is best for that. You can mix and match with West though. Adding  a touch of G flex to a 105 mix gives it a bit more flexibility.
 I use a lot of these products to glue natural fibers to bamboo for bikes as well as bows.  Abetter all in one product is the West 610 cartridge. It is thicker and more flexible but it thins as you work it so you can aggressively wet out material with it.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:57 pm »
PatM, you've used it on a bow? What was your mix ratio?

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:53 pm »
I use Titebond 2 for backings. Only prob I'm having is with silk. I put some down today and I thought I got all the creases out. I look at it tonite and I have creases again..!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(
How do you prevent creases.....?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:50 pm »
No, I have just used the 610 or 105 separately although using the mix of 105/G Flex in other applications comes out about the same as the 610.  It's a very versatile system.
 I never get too worried about the ratio of G flex I'm adding to a 105 mix.  I usually mix up a single pump from the 105 system and add about a teaspoon total of G flex to that mix. You mix them separately first and then blend.You can find the actual projected changes to the mix on the West site if you choose to go that route.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 11:47:40 pm »
Why tite bond 2? 3 is water proof.
When I put down light weight linen I soak it in water first, ring it out, thin set the glue, stretch the linen over, clamp it in the middle and stretch it to the ends then clamp at the ends. Go back over it with a thin coat of glue. 45 minutes later I coat it again.

Offline bow101

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 11:59:44 pm »
Why tite bond 2? 3 is water proof.
When I put down light weight linen I soak it in water first, ring it out, thin set the glue, stretch the linen over, clamp it in the middle and stretch it to the ends then clamp at the ends. Go back over it with a thin coat of glue. 45 minutes later I coat it again.

Ummmmm TB2 seems to do the trick. I glued a latch on my gate outside with TB2 it gets soaked continually and it's still set. On Bow's well I will seal them with polyurethane, and do not have any intentions to stand outside in the rain. I think TB2 sets quicker. Having said that I would imagine if the item was actually immersed in water, would be the real test, something like a boat.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 01:10:58 am »
I've got a piece of linen curing on a pine furring strip under some G/Flex now. We'll see how that does.

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:48 am »
for the record i dont have a problem useing epoxy, i've used it myself, not trying to start a pi$$n match or nothin' ::), now i'm out of this one, BUb
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 07:43:43 am »
A 16 oz set is $20 here. Remember guys, I live in a coastal area full of wooden boats. Its harder to find rawhjde around here than G/Flex.

This just doesn't make much sense to me,but whatever floats your boat :laugh:

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:17 am »
Wow!! :o :o I've used linen and epoxy. It works great. I have had zero problems with any material and epoxy. Go for it. If it works for you, then there's nothin wrong with it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:45 am »
I used smooth on once for kicks with 12 ply linen on a questionable back of a mulberry.Figured out three strands of 12 ply linen gave me 1 extra pound of draw weight.I used 28 strands and the bow gained 8 pounds.The smooth on was put on the depth of the linen string and it definitely is waterproof.The smooth on cracked across where the limb worked but it held up great.Next time I will use raw flax and either hide glue or smooth on.The raw flax should'nt take as much set as string or fabric.Working with the raw flax I got is like working with angel hair and getting everything in a nice straight line on the back can be tedious.Smooth on gives you way more time in application than hide glue but hide glue to me has it's own endearing qualitys to it like.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »
Well that turned out fairly well. I think I over did the depth of the epoxy I laid over top of the linen, but I can actually now bend the 14" piece of pine to 4" off center line at each end without breaking it (that's as far as I went).