Author Topic: Maple character?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline KShip85

Maple character?
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:12:01 pm »
I went out yesterday looking to cut some maple for backing strips and ended up finding this.  I was surprised it split so straight to be honest and now can't decide if it's soft or hard maple, but I'm pretty sure it had the hard maple leaves.  Length right now is a little over 77" and width around 2 3/4".  Anyone ever tried a maple bow with this much character?  Think there's a bow in here somewhere?

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Maple character?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:43:37 pm »
I have seen vine maple bows with tons of character.  It is supposed to be similar to hard/rock maple.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:14 pm »
I don't see any backing strips in that :o...and I would've split it 90 degrees the other way to get a nice natural R/D bow,and a gull wing bow. Its a lil hard and fuzzy in your pics to tell what maple you have,but it is maple,but hard maple(sugar maple) is best.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:55:27 pm »
Cutter up splice billets. There's a bow of the month in there. :)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:57:44 pm »
Haha, yeah Blackhawk, this was not a backing strip log.  I thought about splitting it the other way but didn't think I had enough length to get the gullwing and R/D.  Not sure how long maple needs to be but I believe there's only like 24-28" before that first bend.  After looking at the top and checking the leaves today I'm 99% sure it's sugar maple.

Leroy, I like the billet idea, but not sure I have the skill for it.  Maybe I just need to send these off to a more skillful and capeable bowyer :).
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:02:43 pm »
"Anyone ever tried a maple bow with this much character?"

I have tried Maple branches for other projects in the past, can't remember exactly but they will break around the knots, unlike other character woods. good luck..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:33 pm »

Leroy, I like the billet idea, but not sure I have the skill for it.  Maybe I just need to send these off to a more skillful and capeable bowyer :).

Never let fear or common sense stand in your way. Only one way to learn. Gotta start somewhere.
Geez starting to sound like my Dad  >:D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano