Author Topic: Reflex machine  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Lars Groteballen

Reflex machine
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:40:58 am »
Hey guys.  Putting a linen backing on this mystery elm hybrid holmy.

I saw that Jim Hamm would tiller a bow while it was strung.  Have any of you guys tillered while the bow was under pressure?  I could flip this bow over on this machine and tiller that stiff limb until it matched the other.  Good idea?

Sorry again for crappy picture.  Have not figured the whole camera thing out.  Also this will be my first working bow.  I already took too much off the right, so I'm experimenting and practicing everything I can ie backing, heat, reflex etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Allen

Offline Lars Groteballen

Re: Reflex machine
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:42:41 am »
My right, your left. :-\

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:43 am »
I tiller all of mine while they're braced.  I use a knife scraper and just shave the belly 10-12 scrapes, pull it a few times to seat it in and look at it.  Repeat as needed.

Edit.  Just for clarification, this is for the final stages once I have the short string on it obviously.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:10:33 am »
I make minor adjustments to tiller while strung after I have it coming around nicely to about 15" or more. Its not a good idea to keep a bow strung if the limbs are uneven or if there are signs of a hinge etc... In the pic above it appears that you have the bow strung backward? Is that the case? If so I don't think Jim was talking about reverse stringing a bow to tiller.  :-\
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:26 pm »
So you are reflexing the bow alittle while your backing dries?  Or are you trying to reflex the bow by working it backwards?  Don't work it backwards.

By the time I get a short string on the bow the limb are pretty even and safe to brace.  At that point I'll leave it braced and quickly work any obvious uneven tiller.

But i think what you are doing with experimenting is how you learn.  Even if the stave will never really be a bow, or a good bow, I try to get it there, just for the experience.

Offline Lars Groteballen

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:30:52 pm »
Thanks guys.  I did reflex it before I put he backing on just to see if the backing would help it hold a little reflex.  It had already had a little set that I was trying to take out.

I will tiller it even before I put the short string on. 

Fun though.