Author Topic: Heat correcting twist in recurves...  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Heat correcting twist in recurves...
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:30:24 pm »
I'm currently making a, soon to be, rawhide backed osage. It's 60" ttt and will have a mollie style build to it. I normally get a wee bit of twist while recurving the tips, this one seemed to twist quite a bit more. Any tips on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Heat correcting twist in recurves...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »
Best way to do it is to overcompensate before hand, I have the same problem as you with my recurves alot of the time. What you do is, make sure you leave a good amount of extra width so that you can just remove the excess to get a good alignment friendly recurve after bending incase they twist or go to the side.

EDIT: Also, for your problem at hand, I suggest googling heat bending or heat correction, and I am sure you will find some good info. I personally can't help much in that department.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Utmostcone

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:54:20 pm »
I'v never done this but from what I understand, maybe just heating it up enough so you could twist it the other way would work?
Boe a hyn: neled herain, dan caer menig?
Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:04:20 pm »
I can generally carve out the twist. I think I can clamp it to my bench and heat bend it enough to get it to where it's livable.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »
Generally when I'm making a recurve I have to adjust the tips a few times. I also leave the tips wide and I can make adjustments by situating the tips by removing wood from one or both sides.
  Have you rawhide backed the bow yet? What glue did you use?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:18:28 pm »
No, I haven't backed it yet. I haven't done rawhide before but, with sinew backing, I get the tips recurved how I like and then add the backing. I'm going to be using TBIII. It's done me good for snake skin, sinew, etc. I think I'll stick with it.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:36:23 pm »
I think I found the ticket. Stuck one tip in the vice, heated it up and pushed it until it realigned itself. Easy deal, the tiny bit of crook/twist left will easily be carved out. Thanks for the info fellas.