Author Topic: don't mean to frett  (Read 2050 times)

Offline bushboy

don't mean to frett
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:11:29 pm »
Wondering,since I started to bend sticks,had 2 crunch out ,is it me or is is common?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: don't mean to frett
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:11 pm »
Two bows turned fire wood is pretty good considering some people have broken ten or more before getting a working bow. I've broken two so far but im lucky to have four that have been successful. It doesn't matter how many you break its about what you learned from it. I learned so much from my failures. How many working bows do you have made so far?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:30:22 am »
Perhaps you are trying to make your limbs too narrow.
Gordon

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:14 am »
Too narrow, too humid, bending too much somewhere. Frets/chrysals are there to teach, I get taught more than I'd like to say.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:31 am »
It's common  :P As Dauntless said, use it as feedback. Make them wider, longer, dryer, make the back narrower than the belly. And DON'T pull further once you see a part of the bow bend too much.
I have made maybe a dozen working bows and broke about half as many. But if you stick to the same design with every bow (I sure don't), it will probably be less.
Don't shoot!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:06:14 pm »
@bm53,I have bout 15 working bows and gifted 5.don't hear people talking about the other way to break one,crunch instead of tick!one of my first was a bbb ash (bad idea)the bamboo crushed the belly on the stick!the second was a bbbosage much to my dismay!the osage was terrible,swirls ,twirls,island' pin knots and lots early wood!62" ,heat treated the handle 5" of reflex,recurved the tip(shallow) came out @62#@ 28.got about 200 arrows thru it and crunch!the braced profile went to hell!both were 1-1/4 @ the fades and made from boards.the tiller wasn't prefect but neither am I,so I think the belly matters!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:40:47 pm »
I'm working on my 6th now with only one working bow. Had 2 working but after about 200 shots it said pow....
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:47:32 pm »
Depends on whether its two broken out of ten, or two of two.  If the former, not bad at all.  If the latter, review and slow down.

I go in spurts, I'll have good success and then all of a sudden a couple things go wrong and I feel like I don't have a clue.  Sort of part and parcel with natural materials and hobby bowyery.  And that doens't count all the staves I'll pick up, work on awhile and abandon due to some perceived fault.  I have at least a dozen of these in the boneyard, waiting for the day when I can see a bow in them once again.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 03:57:41 pm »
I have Chrysaled about 4 so far.  I had one shooting very well the tiller looked good then after about 50 to 100 arrows it went instantly sluggish and after examination it has chrysaled about the center half of the bow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.